Lou M

True North: Hunting Fossils Under the Midnight Sun by Lou Marincovich, PhD

Tidgy's Dad

How wonderful! 

I just might get myself a copy of that as I prefer the heat of the desert myself. 

Hello, Lou, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

Fossildude19

Moved to FOSSIL LITERATURE;) 

Welcome to the Forum.  :) 

Lou M

Thanks for your greeting TD! It's not very warm in the Arctic, but it's still a desert --- a so-called polar desert. Northern Alaska gets only 6 inches (15 cm) of precipitation a year, so only 1/6 of what Morocco gets. I worked in tropical West Africa for a year to earn money for grad school, so I recall the heat and esp. the humidity there with no fondness. 

siteseer

Hi Lou,

I think I met you at the USGS office in Menlo Park in the early 90's.  It was either you or someone else there who showed me mollusks collected in Alaska.

I used to go to the library a lot and photocopy paleo articles whenever I had a day off from work and intervals of lay-off in the early 90's as well.  It was a fantastic library with publications like the American Journal of Science going back to at least the 1850's and runs of other journals otherwise difficult to access like Palaeontographica.  The librarians knew me.  If the copier in the public part of the library wasn't working, they would let me copy for free in the back office area.  

The government in all its wisdom decided local scientists didn't need a research library and amateurs like me didn't need such a resource either.  Some of those publications were moved elsewhere (Denver)  but some were auctioned off and others were just dumped in the recycling.  That place had a unique mix of materials (magazines, maps, journals, etc.).  Stanford has some of them and UC Berkeley has others but not everything and you have to pay to park at both places (and it's not cheap) on top of the copy costs. 

I heard the rest of the USGS  was moving to Moffet Field starting last year.  I'm sure this corona-virus situation is causing a delay in that relocation.

Anyway,  welcome to the Forum.   There are other researchers here and other people really into mollusks.  Your book sounds like fun. 

Jess