Please Help ID

bericson

I found a cave recently, located about 30 feet above a creek on a hillside. Inside the cave I found a chunk of sediment, hardened into a sort of conglomerate. I split open the rock and inside found this. I have no idea what it is, thinking maybe a seed of some sort. Also in the conglomerate were crinoids and clam shell fossils, so this stuff seems old to me. I am located in central Missouri, USA and would really appreciate your help in identifying what this is. It is just over 1 inch in length (25.4 mm) and about 1/4 inch thickness (6.35 mm). On one side, there is a sort of indention that still has some of the conglomerate material in it. The side pictured is what I consider the front and is not the side with the indention and conglomerate, just to clarify.  

IMG_5510.jpg

Could you show us photos of each face as well as the above, under and profiles please ?

As it is it looks to have pectinid features but we need those other pics to narrow it down.

Sophie.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Is there a little foramen at the top of it ? Because with the new pics you provided, it more looks like a brachiopod.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Agreed, It looks like a Horn coral that was eroded prior to burial. If the rocks you found it in are Devonian in age, look up Aulacophyllum. Or it might be a similar genus.

• I found this Informative 3

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/