Seed Pod #3 Black Walnut(?) ID verification

Ruger9a

Good morning all.  Can anyone verify if this item is actually a Black Walnut seed pod from the upper Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee?  It measures 2 inches wide and the seed(?) is a little over 1 inch  wide.

Black walnut1.jpg

Black walnut2.jpg

Black walnut3.jpg

Doesn't really look like a walnut to me. The object lacks symmetry and most walnut fossils I've seen have a more 'skeletal' appearance.

• I found this Informative 1

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Thanks paleoflor.  Upon receipt I was disappointed and stuck it in my unidentified concretion drawer.  I'm thinking more like a stone in dried mud.

Thanks Harry.  It doesn't remotely resemble a black walnut to me.  Wow, so far 3 of 3 were not correctly identified as sold.  I'm batting 0% right now.

Concretion. Once again. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

54 minutes ago, jpc said:

concretion drawer is a great place for it.

LOL  That's exactly where it will end up.  And the number continues to grow...  will need another drawer if this keeps up:)

2 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

LOL  That's exactly where it will end up.  And the number continues to grow...  will need another drawer if this keeps up:)

If you were collecting Mazon Creek you would be elated instead of disappointed. But then finally, once it opened, you may have been disappointed. Such are the ways of a concretion. Rocks of zero compassion for their collectors. Sigh. :D

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

LOL   I didn't even get a smiley face form in it.  I do collect Mazon Creek specimens when I can find a nice one for a reasonable price.  I only have about ten so far.  Someone just mentioned there my be something inside of this concretion.  When the first photo is enlarged there does appear to be "something".  I will take a closer look tomorrow.

Sad to say that this "fossil" was probably ID and sold by a person who didn't know any better. Think about all the pseudofossils that people post on the forum for ID daily with imagined eye sockets or bone structure and they are just suggestively eroded rocks.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

11 hours ago, Shamalama said:

Sad to say that this "fossil" was probably ID and sold by a person who didn't know any better. Think about all the pseudofossils that people post on the forum for ID daily with imagined eye sockets or bone structure and they are just suggestively eroded rocks.

Thanks Dave.  I knew nothing about seed pods when I purchased these and that's a no, no.  But the price was OK and I did get some enjoyment out of it so it's not a total loss.  Who knows, there may be a concretion collector out there somewhere who absolutely has to have this one to complete their set.....   LOL     

I've been taken in by odd looking fossils before too, especially from online sellers. It happens to all of us!

• I found this Informative 2

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

13 minutes ago, Shamalama said:

I've been taken in by odd looking fossils before too, especially from online sellers. It happens to all of us!

That's so true.  I believe we all have at one time or another.  I think it's more the "need" to add something to our collection that we don't currently have.  At least that's what it was in my case.  I learned to pay more attention to the phrase "buyer beware" over the years and learned to research before purchasing now.  But when I started collecting fossils there was no internet and very little reference materials handily available so I got "took" on several occasions, I'm sure.  I do have more of those items that I will be posting for help over the next few weeks.   It's nice to know I am not alone now. 

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, Ruger9a said:

That's so true.  I believe we all have at one time or another.  I think it's more the "need" to add something to our collection that we don't currently have.  At least that's what it was in my case.  I learned to pay more attention to the phrase "buyer beware" over the years and learned to research before purchasing now.  But when I started collecting fossils there was no internet and very little reference materials handily available so I got "took" on several occasions, I'm sure.  I do have more of those items that I will be posting for help over the next few weeks.   It's nice to know I am not alone now. 

You are definitely not alone. Most all of us have been there and done that, whether we care to admit it or not. ;) 

I keep a few of these such specimens visible in my display case to remind me not to be too quick to buy something. To research and know what I’m buying before doing it. Knowledge is power as the saying goes. I also like to show others who seem interested what to look out for. I don’t mind admitting that I messed up and using my experience to help others not to make the same mistake.  

I have actually enjoyed your recent concretion posts. I don’t have a concretion drawer, but I do have a “cool rock shelf”. It contains things that I knew where rocks/minerals/concretions that I found when hunting, and also things that I thought were fossils until I got them home to take a closer look. They may not be fossils, but I still find them interesting enough to keep and admire, albeit on a separate shelf. Glad I’m not the only one who has such a drawer/shelf. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

LOL.  Maybe we should start a topic specifically to show our "fossil" concretions we've collected over the years.  I don't just have a drawer full of them, some have ended up as garden decorations as well.  It's been over a decade since I retired and took up gardening as "another" hobby.  It relaxes me.  So much so, I no longer have to take my blood pressure medicine!  I decorated some of my garden with common and/or sub-par geodes, petrified wood pieces and of course some of my misguided fossil/concretions.  My wife liked the results so much I added some nicely colored Thunder rocks to the mix.  You are definitely correct about "knowledge is power" when it comes to collecting, I've learned it the hard way.  I am no longer an "impulsive" buyer (for the most part), I now make very good use of the internet when considering another purchase.  Some of my concretion purchases were part of a "lot purchase" included with other things I was interested in, they have a new home in my garden.  I'm pleased you like my concretion postings, look for a few more next week.