Seed Pod #4, Fruit cone Sycamore

Ruger9a

Here is another ID verification request.  It was listed as - Fossil seed fruit cone, from a sycamore tree, Platanus occidentalis, Pleistocene, from Glacial Clay Formation in St. Louis County, Missouri.  Is this correct?  It's 32mm long.

Platanus occidentalis1.jpg

Platanus occidentalis2.jpg

Platanus occidentalis3.jpg

Platanus occidentalis4.jpg

Platanus occidentalis5.jpg

I do not know what it is: a pecan relative? It does not look like a sycamore. See photo of seed of S. occidentalis.

5EEBAF25-A4F8-4983-8BE5-A4F5CA5D5931.jpeg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

56 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

I do not know what it is: a pecan relative? It does not look like a sycamore. See photo of seed of S. occidentalis.

5EEBAF25-A4F8-4983-8BE5-A4F5CA5D5931.jpeg

Thanks DPS Ammonite.  There is definitely a big difference between the two seed pods.  That makes my seed pod collection dwindle from 5 to ???.  Batting 0% so far.  But I won't have it displayed with incorrect information.  Does it even look like a fossil??

I'm thinking an ironstone concretion, possibly encapsulating a cephalopod (or crinoid stem)  ? :headscratch:

The nub and opposing hole being the siphuncle? 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

@paleoflor. Could this be a Carya?

A careful saw cut across the short direction might reveal that this is a seed and might make for a more interesting display piece.

A clearer photo of the dimple end  might give a clue about what this is.

B1962AD6-5A5C-4962-A9D2-70AAE4CFD0CB.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

51 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

A careful saw cut across the short direction might reveal that this is a seed and might make for a more interesting display piece.

Thank you DSP Ammonite!  I'm going to take your recommendation and look for a fine toothed, saw blade to cut it tonight.  Secretly, I've always wanted to see what was inside.

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Completely unfamiliar with the locality, not really familiar with Cenozoic plant fossils in general. Your guess would be as good as mine, if not better.

Funnily enough, I just did a quick online search and this was the main thing that popped up: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/fossil-seed-fruit-cone-sycamore-15327203 

Searching for green in the dark grey.

1 hour ago, paleoflor said:

Completely unfamiliar with the locality, not really familiar with Cenozoic plant fossils in general. Your guess would be as good as mine, if not better.

Funnily enough, I just did a quick online search and this was the main thing that popped up: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/fossil-seed-fruit-cone-sycamore-15327203 

And the same image pops up first in a Google image search. Pretty soon, I guess, if you Google spark plugs they'll show you an image of Mary Poppins. It's becoming unreliable and laughable.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

21 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

And the same image pops up first in a Google image search. Pretty soon, I guess, if you Google spark plugs they'll show you an image of Mary Poppins. It's becoming unreliable and laughable.

I think that this indicates that Google is reliable. It found a photo associated with the name and locality of the fossil. The problem lies with the person who identified the fossil and posted it on the internet.

Once Google’s fossil recognition software gets better, we may have to answer a lot fewer questions. Until then, our brains at TFF are vastly superior at giving fossil IDs and giving locality info.

This is a good example of why we need good IDs and accurate info at TFF. Google does a good job in finding material on our site even if it is wrong. I use Google to find content on TFF.

2 hours ago, paleoflor said:

OMG!!!  That's my fossil!!!  How can they get away with doing that?  That's the exact description and photos of my fossil that I purchased almost ten years ago!

Never mind guys.  I just realized it's a site based on actual fossil sales and the price paid for the item (at that time??).  I didn't want to become a member just to find out if they include the date of sale as well as the price paid.  It has all the wrong information anyway.

On 2/19/2020 at 2:57 PM, Ruger9a said:

Thank you DSP Ammonite!  I'm going to take your recommendation and look for a fine toothed, saw blade to cut it tonight.  Secretly, I've always wanted to see what was inside.

DPS Ammonite, I didn't have a fine toothed saw blade anywhere so I ordered one on line and should have some "opening" results next week.

22 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

DPS Ammonite, I didn't have a fine toothed saw blade anywhere so I ordered one on line and should have some "opening" results next week.

Will you be cutting across or lengthwise? View the surface carefully for clues to the possible internal structure, if there actually is any.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Mark, I'll be cutting it as DPS recommended across.  Not sure if I really need to, but I am planning to tape it prior to cutting to prevent fragmentation.

On 2/19/2020 at 4:55 PM, DPS Ammonite said:

I think that this indicates that Google is reliable. It found a photo associated with the name and locality of the fossil. The problem lies with the person who identified the fossil and posted it on the internet.

Once Google’s fossil recognition software gets better, we may have to answer a lot fewer questions. Until then, our brains at TFF are vastly superior at giving fossil IDs and giving locality info.

This is a good example of why we need good IDs and accurate info at TFF. Google does a good job in finding material on our site even if it is wrong. I use Google to find content on TFF.

On 2/23/2020 at 4:46 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

Will you be cutting across or lengthwise? View the surface carefully for clues to the possible internal structure, if there actually is any.

Ok, here are the results of the cut, it's not very pretty.  I don't know for sure but it looks like a pecan?  Should I spend the time trying to re-associate the pieces?  Comments?

DSCN4184 (2).JPG

DSCN4200 (2).JPG

DSCN4198 (3).JPG

DSCN4181 (2).JPG

DSCN4182 (3).JPG

That.... does look seedish to me. 

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

On 2/19/2020 at 2:02 PM, DPS Ammonite said:

@DPS Ammonite, does this cut piece look as you expected?

3 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Is there any carbonized shell in there? It sort of looks like a nut.

I don't see any signs of a carbonized shell in the form of a seed pod inside.  It also look like a nut to me.  Any idea of what kind?  

On 2/27/2020 at 8:00 PM, DPS Ammonite said:

Is there any carbonized shell in there? It sort of looks like a nut.

Could the middle portion of this seed/nut be a carbonized shell?  It definitely is a shriveled up something.