Just another concretion????

Ruger9a

Is this just another concretion?  It was listed as Dinosaur Seed Fossil Specimen, Pennsylvanian, found in Illinois.  I am suspiciously thinking it's another concretion.  Am I right?

20200219_142318 (2).jpg

20200219_142224 (2).jpg

20200219_142243 (2).jpg

20200219_142330 (2).jpg

20200219_142341 (2).jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Ha, I was right....  Thank You Tidgy's Dad.  My unidentified concretion drawer is now almost overflowing and my seed pod drawer is much more roomier.  I'm really happy I have finally got these identifications correct.  Thanks again.

Thanks Ken!  Looks like I have a "baby" concretion compared to the other photos, LOL.  But, at least it's a "classic"...…  

45 minutes ago, Ruger9a said:

Thanks Ken!  Looks like I have a "baby" concretion compared to the other photos, LOL.  But, at least it's a "classic"...…  

There used to be a member on here that had a really cool collection of concretions  but I can’t remember who . We need a concretion emoji  :)

Looks like Mazon Creek (Illinois) material. A few (dozen) freeze thaw cycles may cause it to split and reveal something more interesting. Or possibly not. 

Dinosaur seed? Pennsylvanian Preovasaur? :D

Edit: It's not a MC seed of any species.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Yep Bobby, at the current time I believe "the concretion collector" may be me....by proxy.   I do have a few nice ones including this one.  I popped it open and it was full of sand so I got this "great" idea and stuck a fossil inside so it looks like an embryo.  This is just for my amusement mine you, but I can't help pulling the leg of my friends and grand children by telling them I'm waiting for dinosaur baby to hatch :-)  I am wondering what the fossil inside is though.

DSCN0229.JPG

DSCN0897.JPG

8 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Looks like Mazon Creek (Illinois) material. A few (dozen) freeze thaw cycles may cause it to split and reveal something more interesting. Or possibly not. 

Dinosaur seed? Pennsylvanian Preovasaur? :D

I laughed when I saw the listing but I thought it was interesting.  And who knows, it "might" actually turn out to be a seed pod or something else "special".  The low cost helped make up my mind.  Yep it is something special - a baby concretion...  I may put it right next to the one above and tell folks it's a dinosaur seed and if I plant it, it will grow me a TRex. 

1 minute ago, Ruger9a said:

I laughed when I saw the listing but I thought it was interesting.  And who knows, it "might" actually turn out to be a seed pod or something else "special".  The low cost helped make up my mind.  Yep it is something special - a baby concretion...  I may put it right next to the one above and tell folks it's a dinosaur seed and if I plant it, it will grow me a TRex. 

I am serious about it possibly containing a Mazon Creek fossil. I would freeze/thaw it. Those little ones often have small single pinnules beautifully preserved. I have opened several dozen less than 2cm length that had most excellent specimens.

Mark.

8 minutes ago, Ruger9a said:

Wow, I thought you were joking.  I've never done a freeze/thaw process, what would I have to do?

Soak it in tap water for about a week, or until the water has permeated to the center. That's why about a week is recommended for smaller specimens. Freeze it immersed in water in a small container overnight. Let it thaw during the day. Check after each thaw to see if it has split open. Repeat. If it doesn't split within 25 cycles it probably doesn't contain a fossil, but I have had some go 70+ cycles before splitting. Good Luck, I hope you get something nice. It would be a good joke on the seller.

Mark.

Thanks Mark!  I'll try it.  After all what do I have to lose?  I'll let you know if I find something.