Mazon Creek Formation (Fossil Identified) Lepidostrobophyllum

TheGoblinKing

My great grandfather majorly shaped who I am today by getting me introduced to biology, paleontology, and earth sciences at a young age.

He left me with many fossils that he had gone out and found himself, picking about in the Mazon Creek Formation of the Carboniferous.

Among the ferns and leaves I had found this one, it looks a lot like a negative impression of an invert to me, although I could also see it being a leaf impression. I'm pretty immature so I'd appreciate any help, thank you :)

20200220_112054.thumb.jpg.2f4704880db63e5ebf7e7258437364f8.jpg20200220_111926.thumb.jpg.0597f11a5e38950bb47d88486a905fce.jpg20200220_111945.thumb.jpg.6b106dc6989beb45c1ada00cbb18a9ed.jpg

Edited by TheGoblinKing
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

12 minutes ago, digit said:

Welcome to the forum!

That's a very interesting Mazon Creek concretion that I've not seen before. We have a number of members who are very familiar with the fossils from this location and I'm sure you'll get some good information soon.

@RCFossils

@Rob Russell

@Nimravis

@stats

@Mark Kmiecik

Cheers.

-Ken

Thank you very much Ken, cheers!:)

Edited by TheGoblinKing

Beautiful specimen. It is Lepidophyllum, possibly mansfieldi, one of the less common but not extremely rare species of Lepidophyllum. Do you have both halves of the concretion?

EDIT: The above should read Lepidostrobophyllum  anywhere it says Lepidophyllum. My bad. Sorry for any confusion. Losing my mind, I guess.

• I found this Informative 5

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

To me it looks like a seed bract with folds or bumps.  I don't have a speculation for what's causing them, but they're very interesting.

• I found this Informative 3

Though this might not be the correct species, but I would call it Lepidostrobophyllum majus - a bract from a cone.

• I found this Informative 4
  • I Agree 1

Just throwing this into the air...

I have seen leaves do this when there has been insect activity or disease on the plant.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

29 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Beautiful specimen. It is Lepidophyllum, possibly mansfieldi, one of the less common but not extremely rare species of Lepidophyllum. Do you have both halves of the concretion?

Unfortunately I only have the negative impression but im glad to be able to put a name to it!

15 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Though this might not be the correct species, but I would call it Lepidostrobophyllum majus - a bract from a cone.

Thank you! The striations and shape to other examples is nearly identical :)

31 minutes ago, TheRocksWillShoutHisGlory said:

To me it looks like a seed bract with folds or bumps.  I don't have a speculation for what's causing them, but they're very interesting.

21 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Just throwing this into the air...

I have seen leaves do this when there has been insect activity or disease on the plant.

I think that caldigger is on the money, ive seen similar "scarring" or ripples on modern leaves and needles after an insect has had its way with them. Thank you :)

Edited by TheGoblinKing

lepido12.jpg

Be aware that these drawings/photos are not to scale. Some are as small as 1/4", others as big as 5", including all sizes in between.

• I found this Informative 8

Mark.

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Mazon Creek Formation (Fossil Identified) Lepidostrobophyllum

Oops, I see that I typed "Lepidophyllum". It should be Lepidostrobophyllum. Sorry for the confusion. It stinks to get old.

Mark.

2 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Oops, I see that I typed "Lepidophyllum". It should be Lepidostrobophyllum. Sorry for the confusion. It stinks to get old.

I think you were on the money with your ID Mark,  L. mansfieldi.

11 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

lepido12.jpg

Be aware that these drawings/photos are not to scale. Some are as small as 1/4", others as big as 5", including all sizes in between.

Where does this table come from, if I may ask? Looks interesting and I'd like to look up this reference. 

• I found this Informative 2

Searching for green in the dark grey.

I love the fossil no matter what it is.  It seems your Grandfather had an eye for interesting and detailed specimens.  Thanks for sharing.  Will you be posting more of your collection?

13 hours ago, paleoflor said:

Where does this table come from, if I may ask? Looks interesting and I'd like to look up this reference. 

I Googled "Lepidophyllum mansfieldi" instead of Lepidostrobophylum and it was one that came up when I scrolled down through the available images.

You may find this interesting: Lesquereux Coal Flora 4 Vols It's difficult to navigate but worth the effort.

Mark.

On 2/21/2020 at 1:37 AM, paleoflor said:

I like L. triangulare.  One of our forum friends found a nice one from the river trip.  I don't think he posted it yet.

Cheers,

Rich

On 2/20/2020 at 5:27 PM, Nimravis said:

I think you were on the money with your ID Mark,  L. mansfieldi.

Jack does not list L. mansfieldi in either of his books.  It looks like L. majus with a few wrinkles.

Cheers,

Rich

On 21/02/2020 at 9:30 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

I Googled "Lepidophyllum mansfieldi" instead of Lepidostrobophylum and it was one that came up when I scrolled down through the available images.

You may find this interesting: Lesquereux Coal Flora 4 Vols It's difficult to navigate but worth the effort.

Thanks for the reply. I have Lesquereux (1879-1880) in hardcopy, and know of its plates, but the image you showed also features photographs, not just drawings. Funnily enough, the image you posted does not show up when I do a Google search here... so this might have been location specific content (because of copyright law)?

Did find the Illinois State Museum has a specimen in its collections, though: http://www.museum.state.il.us/databases/geology/mazoncreek/graphical/record_abbr.php?catalog_number=14410

• I found this Informative 2

20 hours ago, stats said:

Jack does not list L. mansfieldi in either of his books.  It looks like L. majus with a few wrinkles.

Cheers,

Rich

Maybe. Crookall (1966, Fossil plants of the Carboniferous rocks of Great Britain [Second Edition], Vol. IV, Part 4) comments on this possibility, see attached photo of page 517. It should be noted, however, that neither Crookall (1966) nor Wittry (2006) went as far as to include L. mansfieldi in the synonymy list of L. majus. It may still be an independent species. Curious to hear @fiddlehead's opinion on this.

20200224_201536.thumb.jpg.35c244abc46def3864463f7b477398ec.jpg

28 minutes ago, paleoflor said:

..., but the image you showed also features photographs, not just drawings.

Funnily enough, the image you posted does not show up when I do a Google search here... so this might have been location specific content (because of copyright law)?

Here is the LINK that includes this additional chart with measurements:

image.thumb.png.c7932936ca707395d01a495ebf07437c.png

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

3 hours ago, paleoflor said:

Thanks for the reply. I have Lesquereux (1879-1880) in hardcopy, and know of its plates, but the image you showed also features photographs, not just drawings. Funnily enough, the image you posted does not show up when I do a Google search here... so this might have been location specific content (because of copyright law)?

Did find the Illinois State Museum has a specimen in its collections, though: http://www.museum.state.il.us/databases/geology/mazoncreek/graphical/record_abbr.php?catalog_number=14410

I went to look for it again and couldn't find it, but I found this and sourced it to https://forums-naturalistes.forums-actifs.com/t5713p15-sigillariostrobus-ou-lepidostrobus

It is very similar in style, and appears to be drawings from Lesquereaux plus added photos. Maybe the work of a club member. The dimensions are at least helpful. The photos appear to be from various sources. And I just noticed that piranha beat me to it.

lepido20.jpg

Mark.

In my opinion Lepidophyllum mansfieldi is a junior synonym of Lepidophyllum majus. Every feature is the same except for presents of undulations. This opinion is also shared with Álvarez-Vázquez* & Wagner, 2014. I have never seen L. mansfieldi at Mazon Creek and apparently neither did Lesquereaux since he did not mention it found in the Mazon Creek flora. So this is a very rare find. I think L. mansfieldi is an artifact of taphonomy and not a separate species. It makes no sense to have undulations so sharp that it pinches off? the (3) center veins in a living plant.  Lastly L. majus is the only known and widely excepted sporophyll taxa with 3 center veins. 

Hope this is of some use.

Jack

• I found this Informative 7