1 hour ago, heZZ said:

I'm not sure

img_4030.jpg

img_4030.jpg

img_4032.jpg

img_4039.jpg

img_4034.jpg

img_4038.jpg

Looks real everything looks good, but probably some restoration. But I would stay away from them they can easily be faked.

Photos are a little grainy so I can’t tell what the surface of the claw looks like which is important. Also, I can confidently say there is restoration to the middle portion of the claw (look at miscolorstion).

• I found this Informative 1

Photos are to small and only of one side of the claw visible to make an informed call but looking at the tip area I have some real concerns

Photographs are far too small but I too have some major concerns. I'm on mobile so it's hard to firmly show these but see the attached image and notice where I have drawn lines a claw should be curved not have straight sections this normally occurs when 'claws' have been made with random pieces of bone.

I recently saw this claw in a webshop. If i remember correctly the seller also provided an x-ray picture showing the individual parts the claw is made of

(This does not confirm or reject the possibility of the claw being a composite but i found it kinda interesting).

I saw the claw for sale at my local rock shop. The seller let me take some pictures. I hope they help.

Tip 1.jpg

Side 2.jpg

Side 1.jpg

Eek! Pass on that one.

Looks like repaired at best. Composite or even partially carved at the worst.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Hello @LordTrilobite. What are you seeing that indicates the claw as repaired/carved? Is there something specific to be on the look-out for when assessing Spino claws? Below is the x-ray of the claw that Flx mentioned. 

img_4041.thumb.jpg.fc003c08ad0a182c4710bffbb699318e.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Interesting. That actually looks quite good on that X-ray. The pieces seem to fit fairly well. Maybe I was wrong and it's just repaired.

The main thing is that the surface on the outside looks very dubious. There's a lot of junk and spare matrix on there to hide any seams. This is immediately suspicious as this is a very common practice to hide any tampering. So, excess matrix that seems to be smeared on = bad.

Then the curves don't all look great. It seems to be a bit lumpy, especially on the convex curve there is a pinch that looks odd.

And sometimes, random pieces of bone are used and carved into a desired shape and used to fill in composites or just completely fabricate a "claw". This can usually be spotted due to the angle of the bone fibres. On a real claw the fibres will curve along with the rest of the claw. On a carved piece, they will be straight and won't curve with the bend of the claw properly. Now, it's kinda hard to tell with all the excess matrix on there. But I think it looks like some parts have the fibres without any curves. In which case those would be carved parts.

So the X-ray looks kinda promising, but the bone exterior does not. Personally if I was in the market for a spino claw I would like to hold this in my hand and properly examine it before I bought it. Otherwise I would just not take the chance at all.

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

With the new photos, thanks  @Praefectus I believe this to be real.   The tip areas and the ventral surfaces are the hardest to replicate and this one looks good.  A bit rough with some repair but otherwise okay, not the best of prep work. 

• I found this Informative 3