Fishkeeper

I have a few dozen not-quite-fossilized-yet shells, ranging from 5cm to 1mm, mostly in the range of about 2cm. I also have a glass cabinet that I display modern seashells in, and I'd like to put them in one section of that cabinet. Does anyone have any general display suggestions? I have some of the tiniest ones in little plastic boxes so they can be seen close up, and am thinking of a sort of miniature shelf arrangement to set a lot of the rest on.

The cabinet is away from a window, the nearest window has UV film over it anyway, and the fossils don't have much color to them that would need to be preserved. LED lights won't hurt them any, right? 

Any pictures of how y'all display your microfossils? I'm aiming for something that straddles the line between practicality and aesthetic, where the fossils won't be damaged and are displayed in a way that allows for proper labeling, but can be seen openly instead of them being in drawers? 

What about putting a lot of these in little boxes, with cotton or another substance to gently press them against the lid so they don't move around? I know people do that with regular seashells sometimes, but these are particularly fragile. 

Oh, those would work! Do you know if anyone makes any with black foam inside? I think it looks better, makes them 'pop'. 

3 hours ago, Fishkeeper said:

Oh, those would work! Do you know if anyone makes any with black foam inside? I think it looks better, makes them 'pop'. 

Look at the inserts, they have many different colors and divided ones too. I think you could just use black cloth (velvet even) backing. Look under "accessories" and under "insert cases" they have different options

Ah, I didn't even see that. I may find some nice black velvet, that could look really good. 

Or I think I could build something similar, with the right supplies. Wood and acrylic paint are fine for fossil storage boxes, right? And I assume they don't necessarily need to be completely airtight, just away from temperature swings.