Looking for ID on Devonian trilobite

gkpaleo

I met a teacher recently who showed me this trilobite that she found many years ago in western NY.  It's probably Devonian, since other rocks she collected nearby contain apparent  Phacops (Eldredgeops) tails.  I know it would help a lot to have the head exposed, but before she pays for it to be prepped, she is wondering if anyone can ID it based on the exposed portion.  I'm no a trilobite expert, but based on the tail I am wondering if it could be a proeitid such as Pseudodechenella, which I understand is pretty rare.  Can anyone confirm that or offer other suggestions?   Thanks!  

Amys-trilobite-02.jpg

Amys-trilobite-01.jpg

Try uploading the photos directly to the forum, those links aren't coming through for me at least, not sure about anyone else.

To those who don't see my photos, I am confused.  I did not use links, but uploaded the photos with my message, and I can see them even as I type this. 

To Scylla, yes I know those trilobites are found at Penn Dixie, but so is Pseudodechenella, which I think what might be what my friend found.  See:

https://penndixie.org/tag/pseudodechenella/

Anyone, I will upload a pic of the trilobite again with this message, and hope it shows for everyone this time. Thanks!

Amys-trilobite-01-1000px.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

This picture came through for me. Hmm, I'm no expert but it does look like Pseudodechenella. Notice Scylla mentioned some species "among the trilobites found with phacops" not that they are the only trilobites found in conjunction with eldredgeops. I can say with fair confidence what you have is not a greenops, dipleura, or bellacartwrightia.

I think in any case it would be worth getting it prepped, and with how exposed the trilobite already is that shouldn't be terribly expensive.

• I found this Informative 1

I agree. Pseudodechenella for me as well.

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks to all who replied.  Seems like the consensus is that it is probably Pseudodechenella.  She is planning to have it prepped, and when

the head is exposed that should clinch it. 

What is really incredible is that this was evidently the first time she had collected fossils, and only picked up a few rocks, (the others containing a few Phacops tails).   Many people I know (including me) have collected in w. NY fossils for many years without ever finding a complete proetid there.  I can tell a few other  stories of astounding "beginners luck."   Another friend of mine, during a trip to Pitt 11 at Mazon Creek many year ago, which I believe was her first field trip anywhere, picked up a partly cracked concretion.  Upon prying it open, she asked her fiance (who brought her on the trip) if it was "anything good?".  His jaw dropped to the ground, as it was a complete coelacanth fish, well preserved on both sides of the nodule. There is more to that story but I'll save that for another time.   Another time, a new member of our North Coast Fossil club, went on his first trip to a now closed quarry in Ontario.   Right at the start of the day, he picked up a rock and asked me "what's this funny starfish-like thing?"  It was a complete and virtually perfect edrioasteroid - something I had never found before or after in that or any other quarry, despite many trips to the area.  He soon seemed develop a knack for finding other cool echinoderms (crinoid heads, cystoids, starfish, etc), so I began calling him "Echinoderm Man."   Anyhow, the only two proetids I ever found was at a roadcut in S IN.  I picked up a hand-sized rock with two tiny spines sticking up, about a cm apart. I thought they were probably just some random debris, but going by the adage "when in doubt take it out."  I brought it home and gave it to a friend who does prep to prod into further.  He later called me to say that not only did the spines turn out to be on a complete little proetid, but he found another complete one right next to it.  He ended up talking me into selling the plate to him, which I now regret doing.