Savannah River finds

Hopeful

Found two unusual rocks on the islands of the Savannah River in Georgia.

I'm hoping at least the first is a fossil but I'd not be surprised if both were just dark rocks :-)

Thoughts? Sorry for only 2 photos but this was what I could post under the 3.95MB limit.

Thanks!

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200222113339218_COVER.jpg

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200222113342852_COVER.jpg

They both look like worn bone chunks IMO

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

My best guess is that this is a fragment of a long bone with abraded cortex on one side and sand grain filled trabecular bone on the other.  Otherwise, it seem unidentifiable.

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

2 hours ago, Hopeful said:

Found two unusual rocks on the islands of the Savannah River in Georgia.

I'm hoping at least the first is a fossil but I'd not be surprised if both were just dark rocks :-)

Thoughts? Sorry for only 2 photos but this was what I could post under the 3.95MB limit.

Thanks!

Hi There .. and Welcome !

We get lots of bony fish material on the Savannah river. I suspect .. I'm pretty certain .... the first fragment is from the cranium (the skull) of a bony fish. Sea Robin skull elements are quite common in various states of preservation and they get abraded and tumbled about. I usually don't keep them unless they have some distinguishing features, but your fossil lines up rather well ... you can still see some semblance of that nice radiating pattern that remains.

Sea_Robin_Skull_02.jpg.6760a525de0aaa432764e146d831f72e.jpg

A few of my own examples ..... that made the cut.

SeaRobin_01.jpg.4246957729d6f17615349886fea5339e.jpgSeaRobin.jpg.b37ce98bef015e2798ff18a7eabd1973.jpg

The Reverse should look 'something' like this if there is anything left of it.

Sea_Robin_06.jpg.1d1188298a7996a705a73bd8e7616817.jpg

One more ... my best preserved .....

Sea_Robin_03.thumb.jpg.532731313c03f3e0566517b5932465c4.jpg

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 3

@Brett Breakin' RocksNice catch. I have found these at North Myrtle Beach but don't think I would have seen that in the example. Your last picture is georgeous. In your 1st pic, is that a modern sea robin skull? Would you please post a picture a full picture of the skull. That would help me have a better visual of the fish as alive. Would really appreciate that. Thanks

On the "bottom" of the fossil pieces there are two long tubes. What function did they have? Was this part of a chemo-receptive system to take in water and detect chemical scents?

28 minutes ago, fossilnut said:

is that a modern sea robin skull?

Hi there .... yes it is modern, I was able to find it online after searching for a time.  Not sure about the biology/morphology of the snout.

Image Credit: (I think) Scott-in-Sterling from a Taxidermy website.

Sea_Robin_Skull.jpg.33c8965e75e071b379a9dccbe95d365c.jpg

Image Credit: IMGUR

Sea Robins

by TheBurningEmu

SeaRobin_07.jpg.a742ba5e2fed85ac7aa2403bf3edc602.jpg

Armored Sea Robin

Image Credit: Fishing The Philippines (website) user: benalafogle

Armored_SeaRobin_benalahfogle.jpg.d5488931a0d3861a39ae216ee072e88c.jpg

Super cool!  Thanks all for your ideas on what this might be, especially Brett - that totally makes sense from the photos.  Thanks also for the welcome - there's not much to find up in tb greater Boston area where I live but I'll be on the look out whenever I travel from now on.  It's so neat to imagine our finds swimming around the prehistoric ocean - even without he bone fragments we found some awesome shark teeth down in GA which some locals were able to ID for us :-)