Removing hard rock matrix

Dracarys

I have a theropod tooth that has hard rock matrix attached to base. What is the best technique to remove it safely? Thanks in advance. 

C0004B87-6687-4FCB-90FE-5A7C337F49D8.jpeg

1B6FB6C1-1E18-400A-B44E-53E944AE4349.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Well I'm anything but an expert but here's my advice from what little I know. If you have the patience you could wear down the matrix with a dental pick or a needle of some kind. If you have an air abrasive you could probably use that on very low pressure. However wait for more opinions, mine is off course very inexperienced and quite possible wrong.

• I found this Informative 1

What's worked for me is a sharpe Xacto knife and slowly scrap the matrix off.   However before I do that I consolidate the tooth especially the base in the root cavity.   Then I put solvent on the area I'm working on to try to soften the matrix and glue, if present.   Every tooth is different so work slowly.

• I found this Informative 6

On 2/22/2020 at 3:37 PM, Huntonia said:

Well I'm anything but an expert but here's my advice from what little I know. If you have the patience you could wear down the matrix with a dental pick or a needle of some kind. If you have an air abrasive you could probably use that on very low pressure. However wait for more opinions, mine is off course very inexperienced and quite possible wrong.

On 2/22/2020 at 4:08 PM, Troodon said:

What's worked for me is a sharpe Xacto knife and slowly scrap the matrix off.   However before I do that I consolidate the tooth especially the base in the root cavity.   Then I put solvent on the area I'm working on to try to soften the matrix and glue, if present.   Every tooth is different so work slowly.

Thank you both. I did try an exact knife which did make a surprising difference.  Some of the material is very hard w a thick layer. You must be slow and deliberate. 

Yes, when it comes to fossils, slow and careful is definately the way to go.

Shortcuts usually lead to broken pieces. :shakehead:

Dorensigbadges.JPG