ID help please

Gudders

Welcome to the forum! Not ammonites but pieces of crinoid, lower Carboniferous period, probably in an iron rich limestone. Nice piece!

• I found this Informative 7

Tarquin

Crinoid columnals and other bits. Nice specimen.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

At the risk of outstaying the warm welcome I have received this weekend, is there any chance of helping me with the fan -like object in the centre of this image? It was again in sandstone very close to the crinoids above. A cross-section? Many thanks!

WP_20200220_11_41_41_Pro.jpg

Edited by Gudders
I forgot to add the photo!

38 minutes ago, Gudders said:

At the risk of outstaying the warm welcome I have received this weekend, is there any chance of helping me with the fan -like object in the centre of this image? It was again in sandstone very close to the crinoids above. A cross-section? Many thanks!

A few photos of the object would be helpful.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

2 hours ago, Gudders said:

It's a Carboniferous solitary rugose coral, aka "horn coral" (though not all horn corals are rugose, it's a general term).

I'm pretty sure that's a limestone, and the fossils appear to be partly silicified - that blue tinge is typical, as is the relief weathering.. The other bits are crinoid columnals again.

Tarquin