More Scottish fish fossils from Caithness.

James_R_V

Last week I went back Caithness area of Scotland in the hope of finding some more Devonian fish fossils. I spent 3 fossil hunting at Achanarras and 1 day hunting at Holborn head quarry. The most productive site I went to was Achanarras quarry. I found fossils of 5 different species of fish.

20200220_133038.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

The most common species I found there was Dipterus valenciennesi which primitive lungfish. Most of the the specimens I were incomplete with either the tail or head missing, but I eventually find a complete specimen which Inwas really happy. Unfortunately it has a bit of damage to the head.

20200222_222344.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Another common species I found there Mesacanthus sp. It was filter feeding primitive shark which use to swim in great shoals and was basically like the anchovy of the lake. Again most of the fossils I found were poorly preserved, but John a man I met there was kind enough to give me a very nicely preserved specimen. 

20200222_223522.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

The third species I found at Achanarras was a placoderm called Coccosteus. It was one of the main predators of the lake. I found quite a fww heads shields but no complete specimens. This head shield is the best one I found. It has a beautiful blue tint to it, as well as having all the nice ornamentation.

20200222_222451.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

The fourth species I found was Cheiracanthus, another primitive shark. This a rare species at Achanarras and only found part of the flank of one. The scales are really nicely preserved.

20200218_175539~2.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

These are awesome fish fossils!

Do you know if the blue color is due to dephosphatization?

Thanks for posting them.

Great specimens!  :envy: 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The most exciting fossil I found at Achanarras was a complete specimen of Pterichthyodes or turtle fish as I like to call it. It was very strange looking placoderm fish with armoured fins and body.

20200222_222225.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

The second quarry I went to was Holborn head quarry, which is an impressive clifftop quarry located near Scrabster. There plenty of fish fossils to find there, but most of them were fragmented. I did find one near complete Osteolepis panderi, as well as a beautifully preserved skull of one.

20200219_103456.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

10 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

These are awesome fish fossils!

Do you know if the blue color is due to dephosphatization?

Thanks for posting them.

Great specimens!  :envy: 

Thanks! That is really interesting. I didn't know that.

Here a few other fossils I found at Achanarras quarry. The fossil at the bottom is a partial head shield of a Pterichthyodes, and fossil at the top is a Dipterus v. 

20200220_144851.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Great finds! You are lucky to have that fossil lake to explore. :wub: :popcorn:

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/