Fossil question

Jman

It may be unlikely that our members would disclose specific locations on a public forum. ;) 

Perhaps you might say more about what kind of fossils you are looking for? Both Minnesota and Wisconsin do have plenty of opportunities for fossil collecting. You will get out what you put in, so maybe a first start would be to consult geologic maps of those states. Also, searching this forum for fossil trips in these states may also yield some very helpful information to get you started. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

14 minutes ago, Kane said:

It may be unlikely that our members would disclose specific locations on a public forum. ;) 

Perhaps you might say more about what kind of fossils you are looking for? Both Minnesota and Wisconsin does have plenty of opportunities for fossil collecting. You will get out what you put in, so maybe a first start would be to consult geologic maps of those states. Also, searching this forum for fossil trips in these states may also yield some very helpful information to get you started. :) 

People keep their locations private? In the UK we have dedicated websites to let people know!

1 minute ago, KingSepron said:

People keep their locations private? In the UK we have dedicated websites to let people know!

It very much depends. More well-known sites, and particularly those that have a longer historical precedent, or are deemed "fossil parks," or are pay-to-dig sites, will be posted virtually everywhere. On the other end, there are numerous sites collectors call "honey holes" and are not publicly disclosed because it may result in the site being quickly depleted. There are a good number of collecting members on this forum who do the scratch-work of prospecting for new sites using satellite images, maps, the fossil literature, and a dash of luck. A lot of research, travel, gas, and sweat can go into prospecting a new viable site.

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Jman, you may also want to look through the posts in the "Fossil Locations" topic on this forum. Scroll down till you come to the states you want to explore. 

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

@Jman, Unfortunately, St Cloud is not in a very productive area. The SE corner of Minnesota exposes the Ordovician sea bed. Check out a map of Minnesota geology to see where this rock strata exists and take a road trip.  This rock is very fossiliferous if you eliminate the dolomite road cuts. Bev, a forum member, has a web site called Bluff Country Fossils that is very educational. Check that out if you are going to visit SE Minnesota. From Minneapolis down to Harmony, hundreds of road cuts exist that should provide plenty of hunting opportunities! On the Wisconsin side, Cambrian sandstones exist containing trilobites, especially around the Taylors Falls area down through Winona. Good luck, and post your finds for all of us to enjoy!!

Mike

• I found this Informative 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, @Jman southeast Minnesota is a hotbed for fossil hunting! I do host the website Bluffcountryfossils.net, I give custom fossil tours for just $10 an hour per person, I sell 3 different fossil maps for you to go out on your own, and I have a couple of little cabins for rent (Airbnb and Hipcamp) very reasonably if you want to enjoy this area without spending a ton of money. Plus I have a fossil barn where you can prep some of your finds.

I strongly suggest you watch the 26 min. docu video "Mysteries of the Driftless" on YouTube. You will see a lot of that when you are here and it will make your experience richer. If you have a family, this is a great area to bring them and have some fun even if they aren't interested in fossil hunting themselves. Great Trout Fishing!

If you are not experienced with Ordovician fossils, I strongly suggest a tour, even of just the yard (I have fossil gardens) about an hr., to acclimate your eye to what you are looking for.  And/or look up the Minnesota Bound TV show website, I'm on episode #903, second segment in with Laura Schara.

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

On 23/02/2020 at 7:46 PM, KingSepron said:

Haha! This post reminded me of Charmouth beach in the summer :default_rofl:. I have a few secret locations myself...