Plant leaf ID request

Ruger9a

Good evening folks.  I have an unidentified fossil plant from Yunnan (suspect), China and is lacking any additional information.  The plant leaf/stem section is 30mm wide x 35mm tall.  Hoping someone in TFF knows what it is. 

DSCN4160 (2).JPG

DSCN4161 (2).JPG

DSCN4158 (2).JPG

• I found this Informative 1

It looks like a Mesozoic bennettitalean.  Perhaps Pterophyllum or something similar.  The attached figures are: Pterophyllum pinnatifidum

image.thumb.png.defeb51f48530f045703df0b14120b53.png

Moisan, P., Voigt, S., Pott, C., Buchwitz, M., Schneider, J.W., Kerp, H., 2011

Cycadalean and Bennettitalean Foliage from the Triassic Madygen Lagerstätte (SW Kyrgyzstan, Central Asia).

Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology, 164(1-2):93-108

• I found this Informative 3

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Thanks piranha!  I've been researching both, but so far the Pterophyllum pinnatifidum looks most like my fossil.  My eyes are beginning to cross looking all photos and references.  I've printed several articles to read tonight.  

Wow piranha, I did a lot of reading last night on bennettitalean, Pterophyllum pinnatifidum and schenki.  I got wrapped around the axle a bit when I came across Anomozamites nilssonii.  It intrigued me at first because of the rectangular leaflet configuration (similar to Pterophyllum pinnatifidum and schenki).  But, then I noticed the spacing between the leaflets is more pronounced and not as densely populated as pinnatifidum or schenki.  In conclusion, I believe your analysis is right on the money, as usual.  Thank you!!!  Unless paleoflor or plantguy chime in with additional information I will label this specimen as "Bennettitalean seed plant, Pterophyllum pinnatifidum or schenki, Triassic-Cretaceous, Jehol Biota, China.  Does this sound correct? Suggestions?

Distinguishing between Pteridophyllum and Anomozamites is difficult, as this probably requires study of epidermal features.

• I found this Informative 2

Searching for green in the dark grey.

34 minutes ago, paleoflor said:

Distinguishing between Pteridophyllum and Anomozamites is difficult, as this probably requires study of epidermal features.

Is this a typo?  Pteridophyllum is not showing up in any list of Mesozoic flora...:shrug:

57 minutes ago, piranha said:

Is this a typo?  Pteridophyllum is not showing up in any list of Mesozoic flora...:shrug:

Yes, a typo indeed... meant Pterophyllum.

Searching for green in the dark grey.

6 hours ago, piranha said:

I would label it conservatively in pencil emo73.gif:P cf. Pterophyllum sp. 

@paleoflor mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yimg.com%2Fok%2Fu%2Fassets%2Fimg%2Femoticons%2Femo71.gif&t=1582563795&ymreqid=23281213-8dc1-3cff-1cd0-0d002401f100&sig=CqFoVSDsr.DVj75DooM3HA--~C

Will do, how about this: Bennettitalean seed plant, Pterophyllum, Triassic-Cretaceous, Jehol Biota, China?

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, paleoflor said:

Thanks paleoflor.  I would love to know the specific species, but, I can easily live with Pterophyllum - which is much better than unidentified!!  Yes..

2 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

Will do, how about this: Bennettitalean seed plant, Pterophyllum, Triassic-Cretaceous, Jehol Biota, China?

Jehol is certainly an interesting last minute clue. 

Perhaps the ID of the mystery bennettitalean is solved: Tyrmia acrodonta Wu 1999

image.thumb.png.7491ce67332f2f55d7516e6ecefdb9da.png

figure from:

Chang, M., Chen, P., Wang, Y., Wang, Y., Miao, D. 2003
The Jehol Biota: The Emergence of Feathered Dinosaurs, Beaked Birds and Flowering Plants.
Shanghai Scientific & Technical Publishers, 208 pp.

Wu, S.Q. 1999. A Preliminary Study of the Jehol Flora from Western Liaoning. Palaeoworld, 11:7:37

• I found this Informative 2

Wow, this photo looks exactly like my specimen!  I tried to review the reference, but I have to be a member and it cost $39.95 :-(  Couldn't find anything else on Tyrmia acrodonta.  That's amazing, thanks again.  So, should I change the ID to Bennettitalean seed plant, Tyrmia acrodonta, Triassic-Cretaceous, Jehol Biota, China?

1 minute ago, Ruger9a said:

Wow, this photo looks exactly like my specimen!  I tried to review the reference, but I have to be a member and it cost $39.95 :-(  Couldn't find anything else on Tyrmia acrodonta.  That's amazing, thanks again.  So, should I change the ID to Bennettitalean seed plant, Tyrmia acrodonta, Triassic-Cretaceous, Jehol Biota, China?

I would label it: Lower Cretaceous, Jehol Group, Yixian Formation

I want to make sure I understand, so is this what you recommend: Bennettitalean seed plant, Tyrmia acrodonta, Lower Cretaceous, Jehol Group, Yixian Formation, China?

Wow that's fantastic.  No doubt about the identification.  It's printing right now to become part of my documentation package.  Thanks again!