Plant possibly?

Becky Benfer

Found in a river in North central, Ohio area. Has some odd circular shapes on the top and is flat on the bottom. Also notice a much smaller tubular shape inside one area.  Any thoughts? Thanks for all information!

8AE8E686-135D-4076-B21D-3743EFF77A75.jpeg

Could be, but also has the look of a cone in cone structure, which is a type of unique sedimentary structure. Google that and see if you think it looks similar to what you have. 

• I found this Informative 3

I see what you mean! It also resembles the shatter cone as well as the cone in cone structure, from what I see.  I originally thought plant because I found one in this same area once before.  I’m still questioning the flat bottom though. Is that typical of a cone in cone structure? Thanks for your help! 
I also took a closer pic of the inside of one of the circles.

3 hours ago, Becky Benfer said:

I’m still questioning the flat bottom though. Is that typical of a cone in cone structure?

Well, I’ve about reached the limit of my knowledge on these features (which was not much, I know:unsure:) but from what I read, they form within a given sedimentary layer, so I would guess the top and bottom surface would be as flat as the original sediment layer was. We’ll see if anyone else has a different idea for your sample. Either way, it is interesting and pretty unique so I’d keep it if I found it. 

9 hours ago, Becky Benfer said:

I’m still questioning the flat bottom though. Is that typical of a cone in cone structure?

No. The structure has been truncated. I'm certain that the block is full of the same structure that is not exposed.

I believe that cone in cone is a form of concretion that can be common in some strata where the proper conditions existed.

• I found this Informative 1

Cone in Cone structures form when certain minerals grow within sediment in the right conditions.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cone-in-cone_structures

• I found this Informative 2

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

4 hours ago, Becky Benfer said:

What type of structure do you feel it might once had been?

It's probably a bit like looking for the perfect snowflake. Sometimes you get powder, sometimes you get sleet.

Here is what I consider a complete cone. It's from the north end of the windy road (Rt 139) that leads to Douglas Pass in Colorado. Literally, from the shoulder of the road. 

The smaller piece that is not as pointed is from near the Belle Fourche reservoir in South Dakota. 

IMG_5148.JPG

So am I understanding correctly that this isn’t a fossil then? It’s more like a mud concretion or some form of limestone concretion possibly? And is it of good or poor quality? Thanks so much!

Yes, you are correct, it is not a fossil. A fossil is some remains of biological life.  A cone in cone structure is formed by geological processes on sedimentary rock layers. As far as I know, no plants or animals were harmed in the making of this rock. :thumbsu:

7 hours ago, Becky Benfer said:

And is it of good or poor quality?

I have seen larger and showier pieces displayed. As a scientific specimen of the phenomenon this one is top notch though.

It might not be a fossil, but I still would have picked it up. I see where you might think plant material with the striations and tubular structures visible on the end. Cool find. :) 

IMHO everyone should have a “Cool Rock Shelf” for those things we find that are not fossils, but are nice geological pieces. I freely admit that I have a few pieces on my shelf that have fooled me. 

Plus they are good things for comparing new finds with, or for showing others what looks like it might be a fossil, but actually isn’t. ;) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)