Newbie trying to prep qn oreodont jaw

Raptor9468

Hello everyone,I've recently acquired this piece of unprepped oreodont jaw section and want to do some prep work on it 

However I've realized that the jaw looks quite fragmented and is afraid that it might break apart into thousands of fragments.

I had only prepped a knightia before and I am kinda confused what I should do now.

20200224_133940.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The bottom of the fragment looks like this and I am not sure if it would break of easily,shouldnt the bottom be entirely bone?

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question I dont have much knowledge on fossilized bones

20200224_134720.jpg

First it’s definitely NOT an Oreodont jaw. Those are NOT Oreodont teeth. In your second picture you are correct it should be all bone but the bottom of the jawbone has been broken off. How big is this piece? As to the fractures either super glue or paraloid would work to stabilize the piece.

• I found this Informative 4

Cropped, brightened, and rotated:

20200224_133940.thumb.jpg.b1ef7ad85ce5ca41a5ab82403830ac11.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

7 hours ago, Randyw said:

NOT an Oreodont jaw.

The matrix has the appearance of White River material (Oreodont territory); but the teeth do not match any creature of my experience from those environs. From the photo it gives more of a croc vibe, except it seems (oddly) a homodont. I don't know.

• I found this Informative 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Perhaps I am just confused by the appearance of the teeth due to the infilled matrix causing the look of single crown canine-like teeth. The 2nd photo now posted looks potentially Oreodont. To solve the mystery, prep. Oreodont teeth are unmistakable. Consolidate the exposed bone and start on exposure of the teeth. If it were mine, I would prep it "one-sided." That is, leaving a matrix backing for support. Good luck, have fun. Be sure to post your progress. 

Edit: Yet another, better close-up photo posted as I was two-finger typing. Yes, prep! Start with a single tooth from the photo immediately above. Just enough prep to expose the occlusal surface will be ID sufficient and will leave a matrix backing, should you choose to proceed with a matrix backed final piece.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

White river material is typically rather fragmented but also somewhat forgiving. If you've not prepped much, I would suggest starting with a large needle in a pin vise. Go slow and don't push hard and you'll be fine. You can consolidate the bone with Paraloid B72 in acetone or ethanol (1:50 approximate ratio by weight).

These new pictures are much better. It is an Oreodont jaw after all. The infill and exposure of the first pictures made them look entirely different. This is white river Oreodont material and should be fairly easy to prep if you’re careful. As ptychodus04 says consolidate with paraloid and keep the super glue handy.

• I found this Informative 1

• 1 month later...

You may also want to try using a tool like an XACTO handle and blades.  That is my primary detailing tool for Oreodont skulls, especially the teeth.  I generally remove the bulk (useless) matrix with a Dremel tool until I get within a half inch of the actual fossil, then the XACTO comes out.  I allows for detailed work without unintentionally removing bone/teeth.  It is a much SLOWER process but I've found I can achieve better results.  Below is an example of the results I get using the XACTO. 

Oreodont with bone in mouth (2).jpg