Scarz666

Yup. Agree with all the above assessments. ;) I'd like to see other angles with better lighting (outdoors, please) of the last one on the right.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

17 hours ago, digit said:

Yup. Agree with all the above assessments. ;) I'd like to see other angles with better lighting (outdoors, please) of the last one on the right.

Cheers.

-Ken

sketch-1582571502922.png

17 hours ago, digit said:

Cheers.

-Ken

sketch-1582571569781.png

Yup. That last one is not conical and so not a gator tooth at the one before it appears to be. From the cross section with one side flat and one side curved, it would be a good match for a shark tooth (or at least the tip of one). The wrinkles along the base are not right for a shark tooth though. The constriction along the base made me briefly consider a tortoise "leg spur" (osteoderm) but the look is wrong for that--or at least it looks nothing like the ones I've found. Possibly others might be able to comment on this one. Here are some cropped and brightened images to try to help get an answer for that last mystery.

sketch-1582571569781.png     sketch-1582571502922.png

sketch-1582572116385.png

You know what? The item is not really that big and it could be some sort of larger fish tooth. The side profile is nearly correct for something like a larger barracuda tooth but they are usually more symmetrical when looking at them from the root end. It would explain the wrinkles and slight constriction along the base. Can you photograph this next to a ruler (metric or American, your choice)? I'd like to get a better handle on the size.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, digit said:

Yup. That last one is not conical and so not a gator tooth at the one before it appears to be. From the cross section with one side flat and one side curved, it would be a good match for a shark tooth (or at least the tip of one). The wrinkles along the base are not right for a shark tooth though. The constriction along the base made me briefly consider a tortoise "leg spur" (osteoderm) but the look is wrong for that--or at least it looks nothing like the ones I've found. Possibly others might be able to comment on this one. Here are some cropped and brightened images to try to help get an answer for that last mystery.

sketch-1582571569781.png     sketch-1582571502922.png

sketch-1582572116385.png

You know what? The item is not really that big and it could be some sort of larger fish tooth. The side profile is nearly correct for something like a larger barracuda tooth but they are usually more symmetrical when looking at them from the root end. It would explain the wrinkles and slight constriction along the base. Can you photograph this next to a ruler (metric or American, your choice)? I'd like to get a better handle on the size.

Cheers.

-Ken

sketch-1582642610801.png

This type of tooth plate that has stacked enamel plates is known as "phyllodont". Some modern fish with this type of tooth plate are wrasses and bonefish among others. Drum don't have phyllodont teeth. I suspect this belongs to a wrasse or bonefish.

wrasse.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Looks like that tooth is smaller than I thought so I'd say it is a bony fish tooth similar to (or possibly) a barracuda tooth.

sketch-1582642610801.png

@Al Dente is correct about the pharyngeal (crushing) teeth. This is what drum fish teeth look like.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/image/8306-teeth-and-pharyngeal-plate-from-drum-fish/

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1