dinosaur man

Hi, Is this a Dromeosaur vertebra centrum?, Is there anyway to tell If it is? It’s 1.56 inches long, and is from the Drumheller valley of the Horseshoe Canyon Formation of Alberta, Canada. Thank you!!

F3BC0993-F435-40F0-BE7B-BC881288E779.jpeg

F457F219-E36F-481D-88A9-9837C46DAA7D.jpeg

The extreme pinching at the base suggests turtle to me.  

By raptor, do you mean actual raptor (bird of prey) or the terrible term the Speilberg and Chriton made popluar for small theropos such as dromeosaurs?  

(Yes, I am one of those who hates the term 'raptor ' for non-avian dinosaurs).  

End of soap box.  Look up turtle vertebrae.

• I found this Informative 3

23 minutes ago, jpc said:

The extreme pinching at the base suggests turtle to me.  

By raptor, do you mean actual raptor (bird of prey) or the terrible term the Speilberg and Chriton made popluar for small theropos such as dromeosaurs?  

End of soap box.  Look up turtle vertebrae.

Thank you I will look up turtle vertebrae, and I mean Dromeosaurs.

6 hours ago, jpc said:

I agree with you... but at the same time there are quite a few dromaeosaurs that have the generic name end in 'raptor' (UtahraptorDakotaraptorAtrociraptorLinheraptorVelociraptorPyroraptorGraciliraptorMicroraptorHalszkaraptor, VariraptorBuitreraptorAustroraptorNeuquenraptorLuanchuanraptorChangyuraptorBambiraptorAcheroraptor...)

On that basis, I guess it could be at least partly forgiven that dromaeosaurs are colloquially referred to as 'raptors' ;) 

Edited by The Amateur Paleontologist
  • I found this Informative 1

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

The only described Dromaeosaurid from the HCF is Atrociraptor and this centrum does not belong to it.  Its porosity suggests it could be theropod but the pinching does not.

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

The only described Dromaeosaurid from the HCF is Atrociraptor and this centrum does not belong to it.  Its porosity suggests it could be theropod but the pinching is not.

Thank you @Troodon!!

any ideas of what animal could have this type of vertebra?

5 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

I agree with you... but at the same time there are quite a few dromaeosaurs that have the generic name end in 'raptor' (UtahraptorDakotaraptorAtrociraptorLinheraptorVelociraptorPyroraptorGraciliraptorMicroraptorHalszkaraptor, VariraptorBuitreraptorAustroraptorNeuquenraptorLuanchuanraptorChangyuraptorBambiraptorAcheroraptor...)

On that basis, I guess it could be at least partly forgiven that dromaeosaurs are colloquially referred to as 'raptors' ;) 

which leaves out, of course the namesake, Dromaeosaurus.  It would be interesting to count up how many were named after the term 'raptor' became par of the vernacular.  (Off hand I see only one, Velociraptor).

I come at this discussion as a birdwatcher for the past snarge near 50 years (!!!) so when Bob Bakker ("Raptor Red') Jurassic Park made the term 'raptor' a dinosaur word... well, I will remain civil.  

8 minutes ago, jpc said:

which leaves out, of course the namesake, Dromaeosaurus.  It would be interesting to count up how many were named after the term 'raptor' became par of the vernacular.  (Off hand I see only one, Velociraptor).

I come at this discussion as a birdwatcher for the past snarge near 50 years (!!!) so when Bob Bakker ("Raptor Red') Jurassic Park made the term 'raptor' a dinosaur word... well, I will remain civil.  

Understood - I myself have already gotten slightly 'miffed' when people emphatically tell me "raptors are extinct"... Well no they're not, they're hunting rodents right as we speak

Edited by The Amateur Paleontologist
  • I found this Informative 1

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

5 minutes ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Understood - I myself have already gotten slightly 'miffed' when people emphatically tell me "raptors are extinct"... Well no they're not, they're hunting rodents right as we speak

They are also eating sunflower seeds at my feeders.  : )

If it Is Theropod not saying that it is but It could possibly be one of these: 

Albertavenator, Albertonykus, Apatoraptor, Epicnirostenotes, Dromiceiomimus, Ornithomimus, Struthiomimus or Albertosaurus. As Atrociraptor has already been ruled out, these are the definite Theropods from the Formation so far.

Determining the type of vertebrae might help narrow i down would it be a caudal vertebra?