Looks like a leaf.......?

Becky Benfer

Found in a river near the north central part of Ohio. It looks like a full leaf to me. Can there actually be a fossilized leaf? I could google it I guess but I’d rather have your opinion and find out what it really is. Thanks for all information!

A88071A5-3E04-4A45-8BEA-883238EF48B6.jpeg

7 hours ago, Becky Benfer said:

Can there actually be a fossilized leaf?

Yes.

Unfortunately this is not one of them.

There is a sight in northern Idaho where freshly exposed fossil leaves look as if they just fell from the tree.

Edit: I've never been there, but they claim the sight seen at the site is a dirt motorcycle racetrack.

• I found this Informative 1

I agree, not a fossil, unfortunately. 

Here is a geologic map of Ohio, to help identify what age the outcrops in the area found are.  

geol-map-ohio.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

22 minutes ago, Becky Benfer said:

Fossildude how will the age of the outcrops help identify this?

It will tell you if that age had any plants that would have had broad leaves.   

I'm unfortunately not seeing anything on your rock that looks like a leaf. :unsure:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

26 minutes ago, Becky Benfer said:

Fossildude how will the age of the outcrops help identify this?

If it was found in the Ordovician, Devonian  or Silurian, then leaf is for all practical purposes eliminated. To the east of these areas plant fossils can be found.  If interested, check out this  paper: 

SOME LOCATIONS FOR FOSSIL PLANTS IN OHIO WILBER STOUT, Geological Survey of Ohio TABLE OF CONTENTS PAGE INTRODUCTION 129 PENNSYLVANIAN SYSTEM 129 Pottsville Series, Horizon of 130 Sharon coal 130 Sciotoville clay 131 Guinea Fowl ore ' 133 Quakertown coal 133 Lincoln or Jackson Sand Block ore.. 134 Vandusen coal 134 Upper Mercer coal 135 Bedford coal 135 Tionesta coal 136 Allegheny Series, Horizon of 136 Clarion coal 137 Lower Kittanning coal 137 Strasburg coal 138 Snow Fork ore 139 Middle Kittanning coal .139 Conemaugh Series, Horizon of 140 Mahoning coal 140 Mason coal' 141 PAGE Barton coal 144 Harlem coal 145 Upper Part of Conemaugh Series 146 Silicified wood 146 Hematite nodules 147 Monongahela Series, Horizon of 147 Pittsburgh coal 147 Redstone or Pomeroy coal 149 Meigs Creek or Sewickley coal 152 PERMIAN SYSTEM 153 Washington Formation 153 Paines Run localities 154 Clarington localities 155 Vallonia locality 156 Becket Station locality 157 Crabapple locality 157 Tunnel Station locality 158 Waynesburg coal horizon. 158 Waynesburg "A" coal horizon 159 Grotto of Plants 160 Indian Run. .160 CONCLUSIONS 161 INTRODUCTION The object of this paper is not an intrusion on the field of the

• I found this Informative 3

@Becky Benfer Leaves similar to the types found on today's broadleaf shrubs and trees pretty much did not exist until the Cretaceous. Ohio's bedrock is older than that. You can't have fossils of what didn't exist yet. Ferns, conifers and gingko can possibly be found, but birch, maple, oak and such were still in the future. Younger bedrock is not found in Ohio possibly because it was high ground at the time and being eroded and the sediment carried to lower elevations, but I'm not sure that the jury is in on that yet. It may have been deposited and eroded, or simply just never deposited.

P.S. -- You're doing it right. If you don't know, ask. Those who ask get answers. 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Liverworts were among the first to crawl from the sea like around Ordovician/Silurian and they are fairly broad for their size. 

31 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Liverworts were among the first to crawl from the sea like around Ordovician/Silurian and they are fairly broad for their size. 

Yes, but they lack venation if I'm not mistaken and are more closely related to mosses and ferns than deciduous plants.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

You see - I’m actually struggling with this one area because I found something there once that was plant related. So I keep going back to it hoping to find something else related to it.  I’ll post a pic of what I found prior to this. Can you help me with I should look for in relation to this? 
Thank you -

D3A6B0CE-6281-42AA-9F5F-B4C28FC357EC.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Becky Benfer said:

Can you help me with I should look for in relation to this?

Only if telling you that I don't think it looks like a plant fossil helps.

Oh my.... you don’t think it is one? What does it look like to you? I was told mammoth tooth originally so I took it to a local arrowhead/fossil club. They decided it was a type of plant ( I can never remember the name. There were 2 types - one started with a “$” and the other I’ve forgotten. But they decided it was part of a stem of a plant. ) They said the plants at that time were MUCH larger than they are today. 

7 hours ago, Becky Benfer said:

Oh my.... you don’t think it is one? What does it look like to you?

My first guess would be mud stone. I really wouldn't have a guess what  plant fossil anyone thought it looked like. 

I wrote it down and packed it away with the rock but I don’t think mudstone was their thought. Thanks however, I’ll be sure to compare it with other mudstone pictures.