Are these platecarpus vertebra fake?

JojoMozza

Hi there,

I purchased these from a dealer and was working if this is genuine. If anyone can help me, it would be much appreciated :D.

The dealer said that it is an articulate set of Platecarpus vertebra from the Niobrara Chalk, in Kansas.

I will attach more photos below :D

Thank you!

SAM_9050.JPG

SAM_9056.JPG

SAM_9059.JPG

There is nothing about these that says "fake" or altered to me.

I can't attest for the creature they are from, but both look genuine to these eyes.

Does this "person" that says they are fake have any expertise in fossil remains?

There is certainly a difference in lighting between the first few pictures and your last one that makes it seem much darker though.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

8 minutes ago, caldigger said:

There is nothing about these that says "fake" or altered to me.

I can't attest for the creature they are from, but both look genuine to these eyes.

Does this "person" that says they are fake have any expertise in fossil remains?

There is certainly a difference in lighting between the first few pictures and your last one that makes it seem much darker though.

I don't know if the person has any expertise. It was just a passing comment someone made who I don't really know. The first three photos were taken on my camera while the last two were taken on my iphone. It was a dark day. Would it help if I were to take some photos in the sunlight?

I think you have enough photos to see that they are real verts.

Others more in the know on the particular anatomy of your items will likely be along to properly identify them. They may require some additional pics. at that time.

Meanwhile, here are a few pics off the web of Platecarpus verts for comparison.

20200224_214535.png

20200224_214607.png

20200224_214628.png

20200224_214649.png

@KansasFossilHunter  Kris may have some insights.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 minute ago, caldigger said:

I think you have enough photos to see that they are real verts.

Others more in the know on the particular anatomy of your items will likely be along to properly identify them. They may require some additional pics. at that time.

Thank you so much 

I'd be happy to have them in my collection! Very real!  I guess you edited your post to remove whatever the reason was why you thought they might be fake?

Don

Yes, these are real but they may have a light stain added to even out the color. Look specifically where the fossil meets the matrix. 

57 minutes ago, KansasFossilHunter said:

Yes, these are real but they may have a light stain added to even out the color. Look specifically where the fossil meets the matrix. 

Thank you! I had a close look at it and scratched some of the plaster off (the back and some of the front is covered in plaster to stabilise it) and underneath was material of the same colour.