What vertebra is this? Whale?

Still_human

Can anyone identify this vert for me? I’m guessing some type of whale, but that’s as much as I can even guess. It was found in Black Beard creek in Liberty county, Georgia

AEF9E2EF-47FC-421B-B934-C11FDE977D05.png

B513E368-E394-479B-B59E-F5CD524B94C1.png

1A6CD44A-C381-422A-97FB-B4AB9EDD7B6C.png

• I found this Informative 1

They don’t know any formation or anything, but I’d imagine the information they did give narrows it down to just a specific formation, wouldn’t it?

On 2/25/2020 at 4:46 PM, Troodon said:

No idea of frequency  and Yes the locality should provide a formation but I cannot help you there.

Frequency?

On 2/25/2020 at 4:03 PM, Still_human said:

They don’t know any formation or anything, but I’d imagine the information they did give narrows it down to just a specific formation, wouldn’t it?

https://cosm.georgiasouthern.edu/icps/collections/paleontology-collection/

Liberty county is the Georgia coastal plain, and thus can easily contain both fossil and modern whale verts...

The paleontology collections of Georgia Southern University are held in the Department of Geology and Geography. The collections primarily include fossils of Georgia’s coastal plain, including nearly 5,000 invertebrate and 1,500 vertebrate fossils ranging in age from 85 million years to 10,000 years old. .......

In 1983, another fossil of international significance, Georgiacetus vogtlensis, was discovered by Georgia Southern paleontologists at Plant Vogtle in Burke County, Georgia, and added to the collections. G. vogtlensis is one of the oldest whales in North America, at 42 million years in age.

I would think your whale vert is small to medium whale... for comparison, here is a sperm whale vert... @Boesses-whale-verte.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"