New and have a couple questions

Cnwalker

Hello, I just found this forum a couple days ago and have been reading it every moment that I have not been working.   I have one question that I can’t seem to find any info on anywhere online even though it’s a very basic beginner question.  So... how do you select rocks to try to split open?  I know to look for certain types of rock like limestone and shale but when looking over a pile of dozens of suitable rocks but none have anything obvious in them  do you just start splitting at random and hope to win the lottery?  Or is there certain indications that you look for that say that there may be a fossil deep inside this rock?     2nd question,   If possible could somebody give me a basic rundown of what’s going on in this forum, I apologize if I’m posting this in the wrong place or if  my atrocious spelling and grammar is a problem but if anyone could give me a little time and set me straight I would greatly appreciate it.

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

1st: It really depends on the formation/layer you are working on. Sometimes the fossils are obvious, sometimes there are hidden gems inside and sometimes they are all duds. And yes, sometimes there are indications. There are several very active Texan members here on the forum, which may give you some very specific advise for specific formations.

2nd: Everything ok!

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

I've moved your post to the Questions and Answers sub-forum.  ;) 

You can save yourself a lot of time and frustration by joining a local fossil/gem/mineral/rockhounding club

You will meet with like-minded people, who have done a lot of legwork for you. You will get collecting access to sites that may not be accessible by individual collectors. (Quarries, private property, etc.)

Many are willing to teach newbies the ropes, and how to figure this type of thing out. 

If you'd rather go it alone, the first thing is to research your local geology. Get a geologic map of your immediate area, and figure out where the fossiliferous formations outcrop. 

This can be done using Google Earth and by reading any scientific papers you can find online about the Formations in your area. USGS is a good place to find lots of this information. 

Also, there are a number of very helpful pinned posts in this sub-forum. ( General Fossil Discussion.)

Feel free to ask questions once you have perused the pinned topics.

Welcome again. :) 

• I found this Informative 4

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

1 hour ago, Cnwalker said:

So... how do you select rocks to try to split open?

It very much depends on the geology you are in. @Fossildude19 has some great advice.

1 hour ago, Cnwalker said:

2nd question,   If possible could somebody give me a basic rundown of what’s going on in this forum,

Basically, we are an international community of like minded individuals who have a love of fossils. We take a scientific approach to the finding, collecting, and curating of said fossils. Our members include people with a wide variety of backgrounds. From amateurs and hobbyist, to actual working Paleontologist. We discuss fossils and fossil related topics.

I’m sure there is an official statement somewhere, and more that I could add to mine, but that’s the general idea. :) 

• I found this Informative 3

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Awesome, thank y’all so much.  And one more question, uh well I read a whole thread where uncle siphuncle detailed locations and types of fossils found around San Antonio and nearby cities and I just so happen to know a couple little spots that I could share with any other people near me.   I’m just wondering how I could pass this info on to any Texas members.  I don’t really want to put it out there for everyone to see but I welcome any direct messages for whomever would like to know.       And one last thing, i am brand new to being on a forum so y’all can just assume I am clueless about how to work this site lol 

There is a topic "Fossil Locations" which has subtopics for specific locations around the world. You can scroll down to Texas and see if there is a thread for the area you are mentioning. Then just add to it if there is. If not, then start a new thread for those areas.

However, this can be seen by all.  If you want to connect with only certain members, give a shout out and they can PM you for a one on one conversation.

4 hours ago, Cnwalker said:

Awesome, thank y’all so much.  And one more question, uh well I read a whole thread where uncle siphuncle detailed locations and types of fossils found around San Antonio and nearby cities and I just so happen to know a couple little spots that I could share with any other people near me.   I’m just wondering how I could pass this info on to any Texas members.  I don’t really want to put it out there for everyone to see but I welcome any direct messages for whomever would like to know.       And one last thing, i am brand new to being on a forum so y’all can just assume I am clueless about how to work this site lol 

This is a public forum. Understand that anything you post here may be seen by a lot of people. If you don't want the spots you've found overrun and cleaned out by "treasure hunters" be careful when sharing with others on this forum. You can share location info via PM with other members in your area. Some of the spots we hunt are not known by the general public. Definitely don't post your honey holes! And definitely join an earth sciences club; the cost is small and the rewards are huge.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Yeah it seems like anyone on this forum is probably the quality of your person I’d share this with any way. I just don’t want said locations sitting out for anyone online to stumble across.  

Welcome from Austin. Uncle Siphuncle's San Antonio page is a gem. Sharing of locations can be a gamble. Especially smaller exposures. Despite the vast majority of good people reading this forum there is no 100% assurance that one bad apple won't mess it up. And sadly, a few of us have been burned.  Personally I would first take someone to a site and then if their behavior is appropriate share more.

If you are interested the Paleontological Society of Austin meets monthly and goes on field trips most months as well.Come to one of our meetings to learn more. Check out our web site for details: www.austinpaleo.org

• I found this Informative 3