Teeth from Tenere / Niger

MarcoX

I don't think that there's an ID possible because:

- lot of the "teeth" are only shards, no sure ID possible

- photo is too small, necessary details missing (see Tips for making useful photos in the ID-section of the forum)

- small amount of scientific papers about dinos from Niger (not much known and studied about dinos from Niger, with except of some very well documented species) 

Good luck nevertheless :d_good_luck:

Curious to see, what will be the results...:popcorn:

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Runner64 said:

Depends on what fossil-bearing formation they are from. If near Agadez, could be Tiouraren Formation.

Seems the mountain is called Falaise de Tiguidit.

15 minutes ago, MarcoX said:

Seems the mountain is called Falaise de Tiguidit.

Sereno named new dinosaurs such as the sauropodJobaria and the theropod Afrovenator from the Tiourarén; most finds were discovered along a cliff known as the Falaise de Tiguidit in the southern Agadez Region

From Wikipedia. Might need to look more but a start to your research :dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 3

3 hours ago, Runner64 said:

Sereno named new dinosaurs such as the sauropodJobaria and the theropod Afrovenator from the Tiourarén; most finds were discovered along a cliff known as the Falaise de Tiguidit in the southern Agadez Region

From Wikipedia. Might need to look more but a start to your research :dinothumb:

yup, and he has described a few crocodilians from the Tiouraren Fm as well, and other things from the slightly older formation underlying the Tiouraren, but I can't recall the name.  The top row looks like they could be croc teeth. The preservation on these does not look very tiourarenish to me, but then preservation is quite variable.

6 hours ago, jpc said:

yup, and he has described a few crocodilians from the Tiouraren Fm as well, and other things from the slightly older formation underlying the Tiouraren, but I can't recall the name.  The top row looks like they could be croc teeth. The preservation on these does not look very tiourarenish to me, but then preservation is quite variable.

I believe the formation you are referring to that underlies the Tiouraren is the Irhazer Shale (Irhazer II Formation). I agree the top row looks to be crocodilians but unsure what the theropod could be. Like you said, preservation can be quite variable.

In the top row, the tooth on the very right might actually resemble a Pterosaur tooth somewhat (looks to be striations along the tooth). I believe Pterosaur teeth have been found in the Elhraz Formation. The other teeth in the top row do resemble Croc but in the off chance those teeth are from the Elhraz Formation then possibly Suchomimus could also be an option for investigation.

The tooth at the very bottom does look like it could be from the Tiouraren Formation, in that case Afrovenator could be a likely candidate. Not sure about the teeth in the second row, there are quite a few theropods described from the Elhraz Formation and in the Tiouraren Formation there is also the theropod Spinotropheus (but i am unfamiliar with what the teeth of this theropod look like).

This link shows that the Tuiguidit Foreland is referable to the Tiouraren Formation, and that crocs have been listed as fossils recovered from the locality. So if all these teeth come from the Tiouraren Formation (instead of the Elhraz Formaton), then the teeth in the top row are probably croc. 

http://fossilworks.org/bridge.pl?a=collectionSearch&collection_no=181364

Good luck with your research!

13 hours ago, Runner64 said:

I believe the formation you are referring to that underlies the Tiouraren is the Irhazer Shale (Irhazer II Formation). I agree the top row looks to be crocodilians but unsure what the theropod could be. Like you said, preservation can be quite variable.

Irhazer Shale, yes.  Thanks