Help Identifying Locality of North American Dinosaur Tooth

DinoFossilsUK

I received this nice theropod tooth recently, however it was collected in the 1940s and there's no record as to where it was collected (other than it was likely somewhere in the USA, but Canada is a possibility too as the person who found it often collected in Northern Montana).  It might be a long shot, but I was hoping someone on the forum might be able to help me pin down where it came from.  I say this it's still embedded in a chunk of matrix which looks quite unique.  The matrix is filled with shells, so I'm guessing it's a marine deposit.  I acquired two teeth, both in this kind of matrix, so I'm also guessing that dinosaur fossils are common in this deposit despite the abundance of shells.  Any help would be much appreciated as they're both awesome teeth and it'd be great to get a better idea of what they might be from, but that's obviously impossible without knowing where they were found!

IMG_7327.jpg

IMG_7329.jpg

IMG_7331.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Looks like a Tyrannosaur premax tooth so either Judith River, Two Medicine, Hell Creek, Foremost, Oldman or Dinosaur Park Formations or if it is marine the Bearpaw Formation if the animal drowned or I could just be aquatic and the animal died in or by a stream, lake or river. Those are the Formations in Northern Montana and Southern Alberta that contains Tyrannosaur fossils. So it must be one of those hope this helps. And cool tooth!!

• I found this Informative 1

6 minutes ago, dinosaur man said:

or if it is marine the Bearpaw Formation if the animal drowned

That would be really rare... Dinosaur fossils are in general very rare in marine deposits. Most of the time, dinosaur material found in those deposits is from ornithischians... Fossils of non-avian theropod fossils are the rarest kind of dinosaur fossils to find in marine formations.

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

22 minutes ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

That would be really rare... Dinosaur fossils are in general very rare in marine deposits. Most of the time, dinosaur material found in those deposits is from ornithischians... Fossils of non-avian theropod fossils are the rarest kind of dinosaur fossils to find in marine formations.

Yeah I know, but it’s a possibility. In Alberta they have found an Daspletosaurus in marine deposits of the Bearpaw Formation.

When it comes to collecting theropod teeth from Hell Creek or Judith River deposits in Montana the most common areas to find them are from channel river deposits.  The ones I've collected typically have a shell layer so that's not going to help you.   The only help I can provide is that the light tan color of the tooth is typical of JRF teeth so that's a strong possibility but that color preservation does not exclude the others.   I find tons of Garfish scales and fish vertebrae when I collect in these channels..

• I found this Informative 4

1 hour ago, dinosaur man said:

Yeah I know, but it’s a possibility. In Alberta they have found an Daspletosaurus in marine deposits of the Bearpaw Formation.

Seriously? :) That's really cool! Do you have any links or papers about the discovery?

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

When it comes to collecting theropod teeth from Hell Creek or Judith River deposits in Montana the most common areas to find them are from channel river deposits.  The ones I've collected typically have a shell layer so that's not going to help you.   The only help I can provide is that the light tan color of the tooth is typical of JRF teeth so that's a strong possibility but that color preservation does not exclude the others.   I find tons of Garfish scales and fish vertebrae when I collect in these channels..

Thank you everyone.   Judith River actually sounds about right though as most of that individuals other finds came from the Judith River Formation in Northern Montana - it was just the presence of shells that threw me.  I did wonder if it could be from a channel deposit, but I've never collected from one and didn't realise they could be so densely packed with shells.  In that case it looks like it's probably Daspletosaurus, Gorgosaurus or Albertosaurus.

3 minutes ago, DinoFossilsUK said:

In that case it looks like it's probably Daspletosaurus, Gorgosaurus or Albertosaurus.

Either Daspleto or Gorgo...Alberto not found in those Campanian deposits

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Seriously? :) That's really cool! Do you have any links or papers about the discovery?

Also like to see a publication on that find.  Most published like you indicated are ornithischians

Here is a good one that looks at Bearpaw material from the TMF and DPF

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02724634.2018.1547310

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

25 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Also like to see a publication on that find.  Most published like you indicated are ornithischians

Here is a good one that looks at Bearpaw material from the TMF and DPF

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02724634.2018.1547310

Yes all of the Dinosaurs that have so far been found in the Bearpaw Formation are ornithischians with the exception of this Daspletosaurus specimen. I don’t have any publication or know of one at this moment, I’ll keep looking, if I find one I’ll post it. But a couple of years ago I found out that a Daspletosaurus was found in the Bearpaw Formation. And I agree  very rare!!

38 minutes ago, dinosaur man said:

But a couple of years ago I found out that a Daspletosaurus was found in the Bearpaw Formation. And I agree  very rare!!

So is there any reference about what was found and what identified it as Daspleto?

8 minutes ago, Troodon said:

So is there any reference about what was found that identified it as Daspleto?

There probably was, I don’t remember it, but I know it said that there was a Daspleto in the Bearpaw Formation.

• 5 months later...
On 2020-02-27 at 5:44 PM, Troodon said:

So is there any reference about what was found and what identified it as Daspleto?

@Troodon got some new stuff on this.  As Jared Voris is helping me out on my project I asked him about this, and he said it is currently something that he can not talk about right now.  So all he could tell me is it is confirmed there is a Daspletosaurus sp. in the Bearpaw Formation in Canada!

This is very cool. I’ve found a few tyrannosaurid teeth amongst marine fossils before. Mostly turtle and croc fossils though, not shells. Dinosaur Park fm is probably ruled out by now but in case it isn’t, none of the teeth I’ve found here of the 20+ so far have had a similar colouration nor have had such matrix surrounding them so if this is any help, I doubt they came from that formation.