Jerry W.

Some petrified wood found in northwestern New Mexico, San Juan Basin, Upper Cretaceous, Kirtland Formation a couple of weeks ago.  The cut slabs are from a log about 6-inches in diameter and my best guess is conifer only because most everything else in that area turns out to be conifer, specifically, Cupressinoxylon sp.   Any other opinion about species would be welcome.  There are several nice agate bands running through the length of the log and are clearly visible here.

The first slab is dry and the second is wet.

wood 1A.jpg

wood 1B.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

I can’t confirm or deny conifer, but that is a beautiful piece. Love the banding!  :wub:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

2 hours ago, Jerry W. said:

Some petrified wood found in northwestern New Mexico, San Juan Basin, Upper Cretaceous, Kirtland Formation a couple of weeks ago.  The cut slabs are from a log about 6-inches in diameter and my best guess is conifer only because most everything else in that area turns out to be conifer, specifically, Cupressinoxylon sp.   Any other opinion about species would be welcome.  There are several nice agate bands running through the length of the log and are clearly visible here.

The first slab is dry and the second is wet.

wood 1A.jpg

wood 1B.jpg

GOSH!!! That is GORGEOUS!!!:wub:

6 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Can you show us a surface that represents a transverse section ?

Sure thing.  Here is a longitudinal shot of the complete collected specimen showing the dissected portion.  Unfortunately, no bark from the wood was also fossilized.  From studies of that area (about 10 miles away), there was once a conifer forest close by enveloped by a bog or swamp. Such a thing would ordinarily rid the submerged trees of their outer bark.

0229200725a.jpg

12 hours ago, Moozillion said:

only because most everything else in that area turns out to be conifer,

I think it's all you have.

• I found this Informative 1

10 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I think it's all you have.

Ummm... this is very odd- I never said that. Jerry W, the original poster is who said that...:headscratch:

1 hour ago, Moozillion said:

Ummm... this is very odd- I never said that. Jerry W, the original poster is who said that...:headscratch:

Yes, pretty weird.

I think @Rockwood has quoted @Moozillion's post and then deleted everything except the part of @Jerry W.'s post that he wished to quote. But he didn't realize it would leave the time and poster listed as being Bea's (Moozillion's). 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On 2/28/2020 at 6:43 PM, Jerry W. said:

only because most everything else in that area turns out to be conifer,

Better ?

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

and then deleted

I just highlight what I want and quote it directly. A quote of a quote became mislabeled. 

14 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I just highlight what I want and quote it directly. A quote of a quote became mislabeled. 

Thanks, Rockwood! I'm glad I'm not the only one who makes computer errors!

If only these dang machines would do what I WANT instead of what I TELL them to do!!!:default_rofl:

On 29/02/2020 at 12:43 AM, Jerry W. said:

Any other opinion about species would be welcome.

Commenting on the genus/species is not really possible with only macroscopic images. In fact, based on the photographs you present here alone, one wouldn't be able to conclusively confirm you're dealing with a softwood. You may be able to get further on your own, using a hand lens and comparing the wood microstructure to reference materials, like the InsideWood database: https://insidewood.lib.ncsu.edu/search. For more info about which characteristics to look for, see the IAWA list of microscopic features for softwood identification: https://www.iawa-website.org/uploads/soft/Abstracts/01_IAWA-Softwood_List.pdf

• I found this Informative 4

Searching for green in the dark grey.

5 hours ago, paleoflor said:

Commenting on the genus/species is not really possible with only macroscopic images. In fact, based on the photographs you present here alone, one wouldn't be able to conclusively confirm you're dealing with a softwood. You may be able to get further on your own, using a hand lens and comparing the wood microstructure to reference materials, like the InsideWood database: https://insidewood.lib.ncsu.edu/search. For more info about which characteristics to look for, see the IAWA list of microscopic features for softwood identification: https://www.iawa-website.org/uploads/soft/Abstracts/01_IAWA-Softwood_List.pdf

I really appreciate your response and the resources.