A few more Peace River Unknowns

minnbuckeye

I missed these few fossils when trying to ID some unknowns from the Peace River a few days ago.  

1. This one really intrigues me. Hopefully not just coral .

2019-04-231.thumb.jpg.435f06e8fa52a83acc472e7646a8ca16.jpg 

2. Very pitted.2019-04-232.thumb.jpg.651a1d6054dcece02cc5d0b47137f581.jpg 

3.  I am a little unsure of these teeth. They just had a different appearance from the other teeth I could ID with confidence.

DSC_0930-001.thumb.JPG.c21ac3a3853f26e8a36bba24493859f0.JPG

I will repost a few from an earlier try for identification. 

4. Bone of some kind

2019-04-222.thumb.jpg.71acd5fc50fe0f18b377a8e198d2ba51.jpg 

5. Broken tooth? Of what? A ridge down the length of the tooth visible in the first picture. Break visible in the second pic.

2019-04-221.thumb.jpg.c57f4b52d8fd3933824eb2accd01eb1a.jpg

6 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

1. This one really intrigues me. Hopefully not just coral .

It looks like sediment that once covered a coral colony making an impression of the corallites.

• I found this Informative 2

Just now, Al Dente said:

It looks like sediment that once covered a coral colony making an impression of the corallites.

@Al DenteThanks for the info that I was not hoping for!!! Just in case it was something different, I hated to pitch it.

To me, your bone #4 looks like the end of a long pastern (proximal phalanx) bone of a horse or horse like animal (a perissodactyl for certain). I say this because the divot in the center with the depressions on each side is very characteristic of the joint with the end of the cannon bone.  It looks like an epiphysis but I’m not sure those bones have that, at least in modern horses. See the picture below of a modern horse phalanx as an example of what I think your bone is (yours is just the end, not the whole bone).

• I found this Informative 1

The first object reminds me of shark tesserae, even though the florettes do not adjoin one another as in the illustration.

The fourth object IS an epiphysis from a horse toe.  See the x-ray below.

shark_tesserae.JPG

horse_toe_epiphyses.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

8 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

shark tesserae

Interesting!! Went to the garbage can and pulled this back out. I looked it over and can't decide between the two IDs. Though coral is always the "common" find, could Harry Pristis be correct? Other opinions??? Any one else found tesserae in the Peace River Watershed? For those who do not know what tesserae are, here is what I found. Crystals would explain why tesserae  could be preserved.

In certain locations where strength is particularly important - such as the jaws and parts of the backbone - shark cartilage is fortified with tiny, hexagonal crystals of calcium salts called "tesserae". fromhttp://www.elasmo-research.org/ 

12 hours ago, Spoons said:

Are these tooth sockets?

Does not appear to be when I reexamine this specimen. I was thinking some type of scute or maybe bone that has worm borings. But that was a good thought!

8 hours ago, ClearLake said:

epiphysis

I now agree with this ID 100%! Thanks. For all of the horse experts, would this be from a juvenile? I assume the epiphysis would be strongly attached to the diaphysis in an adult. 

Mike

1 hour ago, minnbuckeye said:

I now agree with this ID 100%! Thanks. For all of the horse experts, would this be from a juvenile? I assume the epiphysis would be strongly attached to the diaphysis in an adult. 

Mike

I would assume the same

• I found this Informative 1