Florida Fossil or poop?

Lee Lee

I just got back from Satellite Beach, Florida and picked up something that looked like a coprolite.  There were many of them and I grabbed the smallest one. How do I know what it is?

IMG_0376.jpg

I’m not sure Florida hosts those. But I admit to knowing almost nothing. I thought it was poop. Which makes me wonder why I would put poop in my suitcase. 

I have no idea if Florida has them. 

Hopefully others, with local knowledge, will be along shortly. 

Oh, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Lee Lee said:

I thought it was poop. Which makes me wonder why I would put poop in my suitcase.

Oh, we do that sort of thing all the time. :P

I see concretions similar to this but smaller in scale quite often in Florida. I don't think it is a coprolite but we happen to have a resident paleopoopologist here so we'll let her chime in with a reasoned opinion. @GeschWhat

Cheers.

-Ken

You guys are funny!  I love your comments.  Thanks so much for all of your input so far, and the warm welcome from Morocco.  It has certainly peaked my geological interest. 

We have a great membership busting with information and much of that is recorded in the history of this forum. It's a great place to soak up a diverse amount of knowledge about our favorite topic--fossils. ;)

I don't know the geology of New Hampshire but given the relative lack of information from your state here on the forum I'm guessing you are not in the most fossiliferous of states. If geology and fossils piques your interest, you might find a trip to some place like Penn Dixie (only a couple hour drive west of you) to be a great introduction to the  hobby passion addition of fossil hunting.

https://penndixie.org/

Cheers.

-Ken

The sandy texture and coalesced spheres pretty much rules out coprolite for me. I'm, thinking some sort of concretion.

• I found this Informative 1

don't know how to translate,
but these concretions (those are concretions in my opinion), are known in Italy as "bambole del saldame" or botroidi (botroids?).

https://www.google.com/search?q=botroidi&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwimk8LsiPznAhXB_IUKHbnHBRkQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=botroidi&gs_l=img.3..0j0i24l3.2722.2722..3388...0.0..0.112.112.0j1......0....1..gws-wiz-img.vtXuCFWRKj0&ei=UCFdXqarBsH5lwS5j5fIAQ&bih=625&biw=1366

ciao

• I found this Informative 2

At the first sight i thought it could be a sponge, but with a closer look i agree Botryoids are a great possibility.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Thank you all very much for your input.  I brought the 'poop' to school with me and my students and I are thinking that it is a concretion that looks like the 'Weld Dolls' in Supertramp's article.  This concretion and all of your input had my students excited about researching my find.  Talk about a teachable moment.....my lesson plan will have to wait.....they were so excited to solve the mystery that I went with it!

K. Lee Lee

On 3/1/2020 at 5:14 PM, Lee Lee said:

I’m not sure Florida hosts those. But I admit to knowing almost nothing. I thought it was poop. Which makes me wonder why I would put poop in my suitcase. 

Why? Because you have class, of course! :) I agree with Carl, the texture doesn't fit with fossil feces. I have come across similar configurations in micro matrix from Florida (Rattlesnake Creek?). I always wondered if they were some sort steinkerns. From a sponge maybe? I have a larger version of yours from Venezuela that I had hoped was a coprolite. But alas, under a microscope I could tell it was very granular. It was identified here on the forum as an accretion. Look at the bright side - at least you didn't pay for yours.

Psuedocoprolite-Venezuela.JPG

Venezuela-specimen-20X-small.jpg

On 3/1/2020 at 5:14 PM, Lee Lee said:

I thought it was poop. Which makes me wonder why I would put poop in my suitcase. 

Because it didn't fit in your purse, of course.  :shakehead: