Fossil Contributions to Paleontology - The Gallery

My dear friends,
I'd like to show up a little. As everyone know i am baltic amber inclusions maniac, lover and re-searcher.
At my begining i had dream about fining a holotype or seomething extremely rare.
With time and determination, we all can do big things, even if its very hard and even we are exhausted.

As in every market, here in Poland is very hard to find honest sellers of raw ambers who did not check material for inclusions.
To be honest -  i must keep fingers crossed if they miss something and i will find it. All the best things are gone at start ( amber fishers and diggers ).

But to the point - sometimes i am lucky and i;d like to show link to article about moths that i found in copulating / mating position.
Its is extremely rare becouse never in Baltic amber examinations history we didn't notice scene like that.

This is funny story. I know PD doctor Thilo Fisher from Germany and several times i was send moths to him.
In one of our friendly conversation he said something like this in joke: if you ar so good - find me copulating moths becouse it is impossible.

Now i know that everything is possible if determination is huge, passion is huge and if you never give up. 
Here is the article - https://palaeo-electronica.org/content/2019/2421-mating-moths

I attached also picture but is not good - old equipment.
Enjoy,

Artur

PS - to every young collectors - never give up, dreams can come true
PS 2 - i am sorry for my not perfect english language.

2244 mating moths possibly.jpg

• I found this Informative 15
  • Enjoyed 2

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone! Here is my first contribution to the field of paleontology: 

Undescribed calymenid material from the Gunningbland formation (450 Million Years Old) from a locality near Parkes, NSW, Australia. The specimens have been handed over to invertebrate paleontologists at the Australian Museum and I am in the midst of completing my donation form. This calymenid is currently undescribed and the negative is important as it has both cheeks.

Common or Scientific Name: Undescribed calymenid
Geologic Formation:  Gunningbland formation (450 Million Years Old)

Geologic Age: Ordovician
Region the fossil was found: Parkes, NSW, Australia
Museum or University that received the fossil:  Australian Museum

Reason for donation:  Undescribed species.

DSCN5806.thumb.JPG.4838306be4e19b6f6a865c2e4f29d94a.JPG

DSCN5822.thumb.JPG.b1b5cf8c0616688bb151251636612979.JPG

• I found this Informative 11
  • Enjoyed 1

Common or Scientific Name: Kentriodon pernix
Geologic Formation: Calvert Formation, Bed 3B

Geologic Age: Miocene.
Region the fossil was found: Virginia
Museum or University that received the fossil: Calvert Marine Museum

Reason for donation:  Particularly complete, a very early specimen and from a new location. Donated in 2016.

Found and donated to the Calvert Marine Museum by: @sharkdoctor

Recovered by: @sharkdoctor ,  @Gizmo , @Metopocetus

Prepared by: @Metopocetus

IMG_4805.JPG.thumb.jpeg.6926d3749f8ca52e7f09783b900f457c.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7
  • Enjoyed 1

• 4 weeks later...

Discovered fossil site (mass death assemblage) of 200+ individuals of new species of Sinamia (Chinese bowfin) in 2013, new species was described in

Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology in March, 2015. Mudstone was very poor and crumbly, only good way to have extracted the fish was through plaster jackets.

f07_76.thumb.jpg.047f02fde54ce68c756ef21753a7ef41.jpg

"The type material consists of multiple specimens that were recovered in three large blocks, two containing over 60 individuals preserved on a single bedding plane."

Name: Sinamia lanzhouensis

In site pictures of when we first started digging in:

IMG_9089.JPG.7288ac3b562672b7b56ad88d8b4e5ed2.JPG

IMG_9048.JPG.7c1bdd93d0c0152c880c2c233e80bf63.JPG

IMG_9030.thumb.jpg.8dfc09a8c57793938eb448d8bcb3cb42.jpg

IMG_9090.JPG.7d859007af0a2028da941a3555a10d39.JPG

Try to count how many there are in this picture! ^ :headscratch:

IMG_9035.JPG.f13b2e0143dd986d1045597daac3d921.JPG

f02_76.thumb.jpg.e56e5c9a0adffc35c4b75d01e3b705f4.jpg

5cecc42f8fbf7_ScreenShot2019-05-28at1_10_05AM.png.9c7e8d3a3fc0e33af0d750cb7285e1eb.png

• I found this Informative 16
  • Enjoyed 1

As a new fossil hunter I am thrilled to have found what the Florida Museum of Natural History has determined to be "an important scientific discovery".  

After notifying the Museum of the find they have asked that the specimen be donated in accordance with Florida law.  I am happy to do so.  

The specimen will be added to state's fossil collection for preservation and research.  

Specimen specifics:

Common/Scientific name -         Parietobalaena (Kelloggithere) baleen whale ear bone

Geological formation/age -         Miocene

Region where found -                Hardee County, Florida USA

Museum/Univ. receiving fossil -   Florida Museum of Natural History

Reason for Donation: Donated to the Florida Museum of Natural history after they designated it "an important scientific discovery".

_88I5496.jpg.14c4bf18847d590aec3f649d46a0835a.jpg_88I5498.jpg.ae30547b8356ec72e67fe4b860c6011e.jpg_88I5494.jpg.3bfa8b5e5c46415231e40a8d536ba333.jpg_88I5492.jpg.ce9f9c37bd3df6803d014b0d9606cc16.jpg

• I found this Informative 12
  • Enjoyed 1

Hello all! When I first found this fossil, I thought to myself...what is this? My focus on the site that day was to find fern fossils and did I! I had been training myself since I was a noob that anything that looked out of the ordinary...keep it! Now that the internet is full of sites where you can get things identified, The Fossil Forum was the place. To my surprise when I posted it I couldn't believe what I had in my hands. Later when I posted it on Facebook, a paleontologist from Canada whom I had been talking to urged me to donate to a museum for it's significance. He had done some work in Alabama previously on our prolific trace fossil site Union Chapel Mine near my home. Later on in the week I get an email from the Vice President of the Alabama Paleontology Society that I am a member of asking about the fossil...he said he spoke to the Paleontologist I spoke of previously...news travels fast. He told me that what I found was the first ever discovery of the Arthropluera armata in the state and possibly in the region! 

Common or Scientific Name- Arthropluera armata
Geologic Formation or Geologic Age- Westphalian - Pennsylvanian Period (Upper Carboniferous) (310-315 Ma)
Region the fossil was found- Jefferson County, Alabama
Museum or University that received the fossil- The McWane Center
Reason for the fossil contribution- This half moon shaped section is an impression of the armor plating of the Arthropluera Armana. It is the first significant find for the state of Alabama. The range of this centipede was known in certain parts of the USA and Europe but not this far south as it is now. The fossil was donated to The McWane Center in Birmingham, Alabama and then sent to the New Mexico Natural Museum of History to be studied and included in a paper written on the Arthropluera Armana. Hopefully it be sent back to the McWane Center and put on display in the near future? 

20170526_222558.thumb.jpg.ff5b66479b5cfab1ecb860e67d38b585.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW MEMBERS!

If history repeats itself, I'm SO getting a dinosaur. ~unknown

www.rockinric81.wixsite.com/fossils

• 3 weeks later...

Just four items pictured here from a big batch of donated invertebrates collected in Ontario over the years... mostly brachs, trilobites, bivalves, etc. There were three bins of material, so I can't post them all here. But a few notable ones follow:

Common or Scientific Name- Mucrospirifer thedforensis
Geologic Formation or Geologic Age- Givetian - Mid-Devonian (Widder Fm)
Region the fossil was found- Ontario, Canada
Museum or University that received the fossil- Daniel M. Fisk Museum of Natural History

Reason for Contribution: Supplying typical examples of Ontario fauna

IMG_5589.JPG

Common or Scientific Name- Rostroconches
Geologic Formation or Geologic Age- Givetian - Mid-Devonian (?Dundee Fm)
Museum or University that received the fossil- Daniel M. Fisk Museum of Natural History

IMG_4613.JPG

Common or Scientific Name- Phyllocarid (?Echinocaris)
Geologic Formation or Geologic Age- Givetian - Mid-Devonian (Widder Fm).

IMG_5772.JPG

Common or Scientific Name- Isotelus "mafritzae" (large pygidium fragment)
Geologic Formation or Geologic Age- - Ordovician (Lindsay Fm, Hillier Mbr)

IMG_4427.JPG

• Enjoyed 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Found this slab while searching my local plant fossil area. First noticed weird texture to rock surface (lighting very flat) so spent a few minutes looking it over. Once I got to the best viewing angle I realized (I thought) what I was looking at: possibly 100s of bird tracks on one slab approximately 110cm across! I took a few pictures, marked location then went to an area with internet access. I looked up the university paleo dept and shot off an email to the department head. Sent the photos with my questions: 1,  am I really seeing bird tracks and 2, do you want it? Didn't take long, about 3 hours (pretty good considering he was overseas working!)  I get a call, yes and YES! 2 days later they send 2 men and a truck on a drive over 12 hours long to quickly get it. Turns out only 2nd bird tracks found in the state and 1st didn't have close to this amount.  The department head has already promised either the original or a cast to local museum (once studies are done) AND a museum quality cast to me!!!!!! I can't  wait (though,  where am I gonna store a rock around 4 feet scross?)

I already have some finds in the University of California Berkeley collection but I have no info on those (collected 15 years ago before I found this group) while on dig with/for the school. This was first on solo search.

Common or Scientific Name: Bird tracks (shorebird), species unknown 
Geologic Formation: Beluga Formation 

Geologic Age: Miocene 
Region the fossil was found: Kenai Peninsula 
Museum or University that received the fossil: University of Alaska Fairbanks Paleontology dept.

Reason for donation: found on state land so they kinda already own it but contacted them to see if interested when I realized what it was.

Slab on Dock.jpg

• I found this Informative 13
  • Enjoyed 1

• 1 month later...

Common or Scientific Name: Diacodexis

Geologic Formation or Geologic Age: Blackheath Formation, Early Eocene (Ypresian)

Region the fossil was found: Abbey Wood, London

Museum or University that received the fossil: Natural History Museum, London

Reason for contribution: This tooth is a lower milk premolar of the artiodactyl Diacodexis. It is unusually small for this genus and so is an example of variation within a genus. In addition, mammal finds at this location are not that common and so must be recorded. This tooth is also a nice specimen as it has little to no wear, suggesting that either it had only just erupted, or had not yet erupted, so this is a very young animal.

The tooth measures 2x2mm and so these pictures are taken through the lens of my microscope. It was donated earlier today (8/8/2019)

IMG_2112.thumb.jpeg.9aec8858487718d345d864342288d12a.jpegIMG_2115.thumb.jpeg.e1a777a4c26dee9964c65f9e61cb8604.jpegIMG_2117.thumb.jpeg.ff00b777bb883eaa64ab0b29b86b2089.jpegIMG_2120.thumb.jpeg.70ecab6dc902f03832f9b5928599a941.jpeg

• I found this Informative 9
  • Enjoyed 1

• 2 weeks later...

Amakusa, Kikaigaura, Japan

Teredo sp. (Shipworm)

Miroku Formation, Shiratake sub-formation.

Paleocene, Danian

Donated to the Kumamoto City Museum

20190618_175406.thumb.jpg.14b70add125af9a0b8d54cdf1a961832.jpg

“coral“ indet.

Yamatocho, Kumamoto

Silurian

20190109_133116.thumb.jpg.2e045a8419a2f0603498420be7e0254e.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

Sea urchin with spine

FOTM January 2016

Amakusa, Kamishima

Late Cretaceous, Santonian.

Himenoura, Lower Formation.

20160425_215006.thumb.jpg.87a193786b42c9eb0efd05c724e15d72.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

• 2 months later...

Might as well put up my find from last year into this thread,

Elasmosaurus sp. (juvenile)

Bearpaw Formation, Late Campanian

Lake Diefenbaker, Saskatchewan, Canada

Donated to the Royal Saskatchewan Museum

This fossil skull represents a rare example of what was likely a juvenile elasmosaur. It was donated to the RSM along with other finds from a previously unknown site along the shore of Lake Diefenbaker. More information can be found at this link.

Also got a mention in a national news article here!

elasmosaur2.jpg

• I found this Informative 10
  • Enjoyed 1

• 3 weeks later...

Juvenile Parietobalaena palmeri earbone
Calvert Formation (Miocene)
Calvert County, Maryland
Calvert Marine Museum
I have had the wonderful opportunity to volunteer with the Calvert Marine Museum over the past few months, and this is one of the fossils I’ve found while affiliated with them which was deemed worthy of cataloging. 

842BF42F-4C31-4075-9CB6-4EC6CC1A326C.jpeg

8D24AC3A-6677-4B99-91EF-BA79EC3C1D02.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

• 3 weeks later...

Over the years, I have been donating to the Florida Museum of Natural History, scaphopods with signs of gastropod/octopod predation for a large study that has in part been published.  These include the following:

UF 245254 Dentalium attenuatum Say, 1824, 1 specimen from the Lower Pliocene Sunken Meadow Member of the Yorktown Formation, Suffolk County, Virginia

UF 245255 Dentalium attenuatum Say, 1824, 1 specimen from the Upper Pliocene Rushmere Member of the Yorktown Formation, Northampton County, North Carolina

UF 245256 Dentalium attenuatum Say, 1824, 1 specimen from the Upper Pliocene Rushmere Member of the Yorktown Formation, Martin County, North Carolina

UF 245257 Dentalium attenuatum Say, 1824, 1 specimen from the Upper Pliocene Rushmere Member of the Yorktown Formation, Halifax County, North Carolina

UF 246321 Tesseracme prisma (Dall, 1892), 3 specimens from the Upper Pliocene Pinecrest Sand Member of the Tamiami Formation, Sarasota County, Florida

UF 246322 Dentalium carolinense Conrad, 1862, 1 specimen from the Upper Pliocene Jackson Bluff Formation, Liberty County, Florida

UF 246323 Dentalium neohexagonum Pilsbry & Sharp, 1897, 1 specimen from the Upper Pleistocene Palos Verdes Sand, Orange County, California

My latest donation for the study is 

UF 318532 Cadulus thallus Conrad, 1834, 16 specimens from the Upper Pliocene Rushmere Member of the Yorktwon Formation, Edgecombe County, North Carolina. Avg. size 10 mm.

S20191109_0001.jpg.d9fcd1c4753cec75bf922c02619b4f91.jpg

These show that nothing is too small or too common to be of interest in science.

Mike

• Enjoyed 1

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Common or Scientific Name: Odontoceti indet.  (delphinid periotic ear bone)
Geologic Formation: Undetermined - ( Fossil dredge from this site typically contains Oligocene Ashley Formation, Lower Miocene Marks Head Formation, Lower Pliocene Goose Creek Limestone, and Pleistocene Wando Formation )

Geologic Age: Undetermined - Oligocene (?)  But potentially Pliocene - Pleistocene
Region the fossil was found: Charleston, South Carolina
Museum or University that received the fossil:  Mace Brown Museum of Natural History at the College of Charleston

Reason for donation:  Well preserved and perfect for the fossil survey.

Found and donated (July 23, 2019) to Dr. Bobby Boessenecker

Dr. Bobby Boessenecker - " Ashby (Gale) and I (but mostly Ashby, since he's out more often) have been putting together a collection of riverbank ear bones from West Ashley, Johns Island, and Mount Pleasant, and this is quite a well preserved one that would go nicely into the eventual paper. "

Donated_Delphinid_Periotic_07232019_Final.thumb.jpg.cc1dacba243b70a3affc0f28634cad74.jpg

• I found this Informative 6
  • Enjoyed 1

More donations to the GeoCenter Møns Klint museum in Denmark :) 

All fossils were collected from the Late Cretaceous chalk of Møns Klint in 2018 (and donated in August 2019). 

Associated spines of a Stereocidaris pistillum echinoid/sea urchin. (scale bar 5cm). Donated for exhibition value, and since associated echinoderm material isn't very common at Møns Klint.

image.png.538dadd83d88d8252a879e24514d749b.png

Enigmatic echinoderm fossil, donated for potential significance of the fossil (it also be shown to other chalk researchers). ~2.5cm tall.

20180730_230840.thumb.jpg.f4c1bc6ccb7dcacb8c49f30f6e80c1b1.jpg

Juvenile cf. Belemnella belemnite rostrum/guard; approx 5cm long. Donated for exhibition value, and since well-preserved juvenile material is rather rare at Møns Klint.

5b606d035b044_ScreenShot2018-07-31at16_06_38.png.7b1ed5516831b9b39c77b40d9afd240b.png

Large, nearly complete spine of a Stereocidaris pistillum echinoid. Donated because of unusual association with a partial cirrepede/barnacle (circled in black); cirrepede material is rather uncommon at that locality. The spine is approximately 7cm long.

5b606ea7dd4b2_ScreenShot2018-07-31at16_11_01.png.2157c5efc131556153fc6be5095614ad.png

Partial stem of an Isselicrinus buchii (crinoid/sea lily). Donated because large, continuous sections of crinoid stems are kinda rare, and also because it is associated with a cirrepede fragment (unfortunately not visible in this photo..). The stem is approximately 8cm long. 

5b606f4374bb5_ScreenShot2018-07-31at16_16_12.png.bb2f011f049e840cd4c2644d659b7aed.png

Assorted remains of 2 echinoid species. Donated because of the two pairs of mouth parts (the small 'triangular' plates with rounded edges) - since finding associated sea urchin remains with several mouthplates is relatively rare. The whole piece of chalk measures 10cm across. 

image.png.83c271f3e3898ee9c3abe105c74610a9.png

Edited by The Amateur Paleontologist
  • I found this Informative 13
  • Enjoyed 1

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

• 2 months later...

I am very pleased to report that some of my Florida micros from matrix collected by, and sent to me by John Sacha, are important enough to be included in a formal study. 

Common or Scientific Name: Balistidae (triggerfish) teeth
Geologic Formation or Geologic Age: Late Miocene, Early Hemphillian (Hemphillian 1) land mammal age (8-9 Ma)
Region the fossil was found: Rattlesnake Creek (Gainesville, FL)
Museum or University that received the fossil: Florida Museum of Natural History (University of Florida)
A short note explaining the reason for the fossil contribution: PhD candidate interested in writing paper on the Balistidae found in the Florida fossil record. Specimens represent a locality not currently recorded in the FLMNH Vertebrate Paleontology Database.

Balistoid.thumb.jpg.3bd29dff8afce63a4ffe6422746fd13a.jpg

RC2-Black-tooth.thumb.jpg.e08b14ce48c94127f05713aceddd133a.jpgRC2-Brown-tooth.jpg.1f22593ca515766fdf0f3221a87a13f5.jpgRC2-tall-tooth.thumb.jpg.07f7ea23ab1cbabd4588e08d5dd66bb9.jpgRC2-Tooth-7.jpg.a6e56c537192f51659f61017f9957a84.jpgRC2-Yellow-tooth.thumb.jpg.b748f76fdf92fecdd5a96b0b1f707c15.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

• digit changed the title to Member Contributions to Science Gallery
  • 3 weeks later...

Common or Scientific Name:  Capybara or Neochoerus aesopi

Geologic Formation or Geologic Age:  Late Pleistocene Beaumont Formation

Region the fossil was found:  Near Galveston Bay, Southeast Texas

Museum or University that received the fossil:  (TxVP) University of Texas, Vertebrate Paleontology Collections, J. J. Pickle Research Campus, Austin, Texas

Outside of Florida, late Pleistocene capybaras are poorly known from the United States this specimen only the second in the TxVP collection.

Published with Dr. Jon Baskin, Texas A&M and my daughter Camille J. Gervais, League City Intermediate School...

https://bioone.org/journals/Proceedings-of-the-Academy-of-Natural-Sciences-of-Philadelphia/volume-167/issue-1/053.167.0105/A-Late-Pleistocene-capybara-Rodentia-Caviidae-Hydrochoerinae-from-near-Houston/10.1635/053.167.0105.short?tab=ArticleLink

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/75437-capybara-mandible-fragment/

IMG_1744.thumb.JPG

IMG_1745.thumb.JPG

IMG_1749.thumb.JPG

Edited by darrow
format pictures
  • Enjoyed 2

• 1 month later...

I think it is about time I added my contribution. 

Common or Scientific Name.

Prionocyclus novimexicanus

Geologic Formation or Geologic Age.

Mancos Shale-Blue Gate Shale Member, Upper Turonian

Region the fossil was found.

Near Green River, Utah

Museum or University that received the fossil.

Utah Valley University

A short note explaining the reason for the fossil contribution. Please include a link to the topic about your fossil (if available).

This specimen was donated on request of some researchers at Utah Valley University for a study on the biostratigraphy and paleoclimatology of the Blue Gate Shale Member. This specimen in particular is large and has an associated spine which is not all that common in this region due to the manner of preservation these ammonites underwent. Most are broken with few spines being associated with the original shell material.

IMG_2856.jpeg

IMG_2854.jpeg

IMG_2852.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

• 2 months later...

A few contributions on my part:

Common or Scientific Name:  Cyclaster aff. suecicus

Geologic Formation or Geologic Age:  Middle Danian 

Region the fossil was found:  North Jutland, Denmark

Museum or University that received the fossil: Statens naturhistoriske samling in Denmark

Exceptionally well preserved and fully inflated, possibly new species.

5f0f2ed613b0e_DK1023-Cyclasteraff.Suecicus.JPG.df8e813242e24843258d68bacb286bfe.JPG

Common or Scientific Name:  Cuspidaria precuspidata

Geologic Formation or Geologic Age:  Øvre Oligosæn (ca. 20 m.y.o)

Region the fossil was found:  Limfjorden, North Jutland, Denmark

Museum or University that received the fossil: Statens naturhistoriske samling in Denmark

Exceptionally large and one of few almost complete specimens found at the locality.

5f0f3001341ec_DK1086-Cuspidariaprecuspidata.thumb.jpg.d377bc333b4900461bd9ded02baa424a.jpg

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 2

Common or Scientific Name:  Matutites collinsi

Geologic Formation or Geologic Age:  Spring Garden Member of the Castle Hayne Formation (Middle Eocene

Region the fossil was found:  North Carolina, USA

Museum or University that received the fossil: North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences

Link to Publication: https://www.schweizerbart.de/papers/njgpa/detail/296/93733/Matutites_collinsi_n_sp_Crustacea_Decapoda_Matutidae_from_the_Spring_Garden_Member_of_the_Castle_Hayne_Formation_in_North_Carolina_USA

image.thumb.jpeg.4974af2513ecfbaa44c4d0e672ee490d.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 1

• 3 months later...

And here is my little contribution to science:

Common or Scientific Name - Acanthopyge contusa trilobite hypostome

Geologic Formation or Geologic Age. - Amherstburg Formation, Lower Devonian

Region the fossil was found -near Formosa, Ontario, Canada

Museum or University that received the fossil - Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Reason for Contribution: The ROM didn't have a hypostome belonging to A. contusa from the Formosa Reef prior to my donation.  Here is the letter of acknowledgement I received from the ROM:

Donation Acknowledgement Letter-October 2020-Signed.pdf

Link to fossil:

Photos of the specimen:

5f969c8ec18fc_Acanthopygecontusahypostomewithruler.JPG.e9eed7ef6808f4f1425f738445d16f01.JPG

5f969c9415b00_Acanthopygecontusahypostomeinhand.JPG.2ff52e43ab093a2d6b6245ec5dc5bf35.JPG

• Enjoyed 2

• 2 weeks later...

Name: Trachyscaphites pulcherrimus 

Age/Formation: Upper Cretaceous/Wenonah Formation/Matawan Group

Receiving Institution: MAPS (Monmouth Amateur Paleontological Society). Collection is slated to eventually go to the Paleontological Research Institute in Ithaca, N.Y.

Reason for donation: Specimen is rare, especially in this quality condition. The species is also an index fossil for the Wenonah Formation, thus has stratigraphic significance.

IMG_6879.JPG

IMG_6881.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

• 1 month later...

Paperwork has made it official:

Common or Scientific Name: Protitanichthys sp. 
Geologic Formation:  Widder

Geologic Age: M. Devonian
Region the fossil was found: Arkona, Ontario (Canada)
Museum or University that received the fossil:  Royal Ontario Museum

Reason for donation:  Research and/or display purposes

IMG_6054.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

• 1 month later...

Synthetoceras sp (protoceratid) 
Metatarsal (a bone of the mid-foot)
Yorktown Formation, Miocene-Pliocene Epoch
Hertford County, North Carolina
Donated to Smithsonian Institution National Museum of Natural History 
Department of Paleobiology
Date of donation: July 8, 2004
Told it was the “northernmost example” of this animal found to date.

(In the interest of full disclosure, this is a professionally prepared cast.)

synthetoceras metatarsal 1.jpg

synthetoceras metatarsal 2.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 2