Rob Russell

Hey Folks, 

Found today at Mazonia. Thanks in advance for your response. 

Arthropleura?

AB9F0553-9531-4821-87A5-BF139774B563.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Arthropleura  was my first thought, Rob.  

Great find!  :) 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I didn’t realise that occurred there. Love mazon creek fossils!

• I found this Informative 1

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

Arthropleura  was my first thought, Rob.  

Great find!  :) 

Thanks Tim! :)  

Thanks everybody. I realized it wasn’t a jellyfish out in the field even though it was dirty. Not to mention my glasses were dirty. My hands were filthy. And I was standing on a 45 degree incline straddling pricker bushes. A little context. Good times. :P  

Unfortunately, I believe it is plant material.

Not sure exactly what but maybe something like stigmaria.

• I found this Informative 6

Thanks Rob!

That's awesome! I suggest you submit it for Invertebrate Fossil of the Month. From what i've seen online it does seem to be arthropleura.

23 hours ago, PaleoNoel said:

That's awesome! I suggest you submit it for Invertebrate Fossil of the Month. From what i've seen online it does seem to be arthropleura.

I appreciate that. However, RCFossils has spoken. :P  Unless the honorable Fiddlehead (JW) chimes in, the buck stops with Rob. :)

:envy:   It sure looks like the outer edge of a tergite from an Arthropleura to me, but I've never actually seen one from Mazon Creek. 

Notice the ridge where part of the fossil has chipped off.

Arthropleura2.jpg.2becaff8a5465628d164da33a9b09b14.jpg

Arthropluera have a ridge on the underside of their tergites in some areas. As an example of this, here is the underside of a tergite from Poland.

Arthropleura.thumb.jpg.d1029c09fc46d8902f13bcb954d84efb.jpg

7 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

:envy:   It sure looks like the outer edge of a tergite from an Arthropleura to me, but I've never actually seen one from Mazon Creek. 

Notice the ridge where part of the fossil has chipped off.

Arthropleura2.jpg.2becaff8a5465628d164da33a9b09b14.jpg

Arthropluera have a ridge on the underside of their tergites in some areas. As an example of this, here is the underside of a tergite from Poland.

Arthropleura.thumb.jpg.d1029c09fc46d8902f13bcb954d84efb.jpg

What a remarkable observation, Geschwhat. Thank you for pointing that out. Hopefully I can get RCFossils, or Fiddlehead, to confirm that. You’re making a very strong, and valid, point in your assessment. That’s again for bringing it to light!

While I would love this to be a tergite off of an arthropleura, i am still fairly certain this is plant material.

I see the ridged area that you are referring to, it just does not look like any Mazon arthropleura or arthropod material that i have seen.

Thanks for the second look, Rob! Much appreciated!  

I know very little about Mazon Creek fossils. Half the time, the jelly fish and tully monster pieces don't even look like fossils to my untrained eye. I have been studying Mazon Creek herbivore coprolites over the last 1 1/2 years. As a part of this, I have been studying modern millipedes. I only have 3 species of flat millipedes, two of which have a surface texture to their tergites that would be somewhat similar to Arthropleura. However, they are very, very small. Here is a tergite from a Polydesmus sp. You may be right. This might be plant material. However, I'm getting a really strong millipede vibe. I haven't been able to find any really good photos of Mazon Creek Arthropleura tergites, but this does seem to fit with some of the Polish specimens. :zzzzscratchchin:

Polydesmus sp tergite.jpg

Wow, GeschWhat. You may truly be on to something. The individual top view in your visual is mighty compelling. The shape is distinctively very similar. Yet I cautiously consider “shape” as a identifying tool. I certainly appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your expertise on these neat creatures. Considering I have nine! :)  

Thank you again; GW!

So the mystery continues!  

36 minutes ago, Rob Russell said:

Wow, GeschWhat. You may truly be on to something. The individual top view in your visual is mighty compelling. The shape is distinctively very similar. Yet I cautiously consider “shape” as a identifying tool. I certainly appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your expertise on these neat creatures. Considering I have nine! :)  

Thank you again; GW!

So the mystery continues!  

What kind do you have? If you tell me you have an African Giant, I am going to be extremely jealous! I fell in love with the little critters after I got my first one. I have Texas golds, Florida Ivories, Smoky Ghost, spotted snakes and the flats that I mentioned the largest being Auturus evides

Hahaha!  Wupsies. That should read, “I have none”. Not “nine”. :P   I’m a residential carpenter contractor, and have zero knowledge on Arthropleura’s. :)   I would edit it, but that would make this post mute. 

5 hours ago, Rob Russell said:

Hahaha!  Wupsies. That should read, “I have none”. Not “nine”. :P   I’m a residential carpenter contractor, and have zero knowledge on Arthropleura’s. :)   I would edit it, but that would make this post mute. 

Awe...too bad. :( Well, if you ever do want an adorable, easy pet, I highly recommend millipedes - especially Florida Ivories. They come out to play a lot more than most, and have the cutest little faces. :P

IMG_1925.jpeg