Need help with Barnacle!

Sjelliott93

Hello, can anyone please help me with this Barnacle. Is this old? Do you have any idea of the age of this or if a fossil even or just a dead barnacle shell. Its about 2 inches the shell its self and about 1 1/2 depth. It was found in Oregon, United States (Pacific Ocean Beach) 

Screenshot_2020-03-01-19-49-28.png

Screenshot_2020-03-01-19-49-46.png

Screenshot_2020-03-01-19-49-53.png

Was it found laying in the sand on the beach or dug out of the side of a cliff? 

Looks modern to me, but I do have some from the Pleistocene ( 120k years old ) that haven't changed any from its modern cousins.

However, judging from the sharpness and lack of wear on the Carina, I would feel safe with saying this is a modern specimen.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

11 hours ago, caldigger said:

Pleistocene ( 120k years old ) that haven't changed any from its modern cousins.

I’m pretty familiar with marine Pleistocene deposits of the Pacific Northwest. Barnacles here are by no means a rare find so the possibility of it being a fossil is there for sure. The color of the shell material also looks just like the white, bleached color that the fossils I find posses.

Provenance is everything regarding this issue, without seeing how the specimen was found in situ, I’m not confident making a diagnosis as to the fossil-ness of this specimen.

It might also help if you narrowed down where you live along the Oregon Coast. I could check to see if there are any sedimentary deposits of the right age around there.

Hope I’ve helped.

-Nick