Fossilized Coral - ?!?!

Becky Benfer

I know I’m always posting “stuff” and I’m trying to patiently wait until I’m sure I have a fossil this time, so you all don’t kick me off here haha!!......but I found this yesterday on the riverbank of the Huron River. It’s in the north central area of Ohio.  And I couldn’t wait to ask about it! What do you think is it coral? Thanks for your help.

B30BB28E-23CA-4254-87B9-0BBA239D9329.jpeg

The second item looks to just be a suggestively shaped rock but the first one is definitely coral as I can see the repeating polyp structure. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 4

The first one is coral, the other is chert or maybe sandstone, i think. 

Edit : Ken beat me to it. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

8 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Edit : Ken beat me to it.

That's because I was terse instead of my normally verbose replies. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

1 hour ago, digit said:

That's because I was terse instead of my normally verbose replies. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Yes, I hope you're not sickening for something. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

the other is chert or maybe sandstone

looks to me to be a very fine grained Sandstone, or possibly even a mudstone. I don't personally see a Chert nodule weathering in that way, with the grooves and such.

-Nick

What exactly is mudstone? Is it made from glaciers moving through the area by any chance because I’m finding sooo many twisted, grooved, rocks that even look like they were “cut” or moved weirdly, and I cannot figure out what they are?? I’m guessing they are just riverbed rock of some sort but they are very oddly shaped. I’m going to post a couple pics of them below, maybe they are mudstone too??? Thanks for your help.

Mudstone is a type of sedimentary rock. It forms just as it’s name suggests, by the consolidation of mud into rock. Glaciers don’t really form rocks, they move them around, maybe grind them into powder, and pile them up to (partially) create the landscape you live on.  The last several rocks you posted look a lot like flute casts to me. You can google that to see examples and read about how they form, but basically it is a type of sedimentary structure formed when sediments (often mud) fill in scour marks in the layer beneath it.