suture

Dinosaur tracks in Dallas, Texas?

suture
Posted (edited)

Howdy, all. Apologies for the lack of specificity; I'm an amateur fossil hunter and am not familiar with all the terms just yet. 

I was recently looking for inoceramus clams in the bed of White Rock Creek when I noticed some strange depressions in the limestone. They were roundish (some with a hint of a triangular shape), around two feet in diameter, and spaced in a pretty even pattern along the creekbed. The more I thought about it, the more they seemed to resemble the tracks found at the bottom of the river at Dinosaur Valley State Park in Glen Rose. My questions are: 

• Is anyone aware of dinosaur tracks along this creek? This wasn't at all a remote area, so it's hard to imagine that people just overlooked a bunch of dino footprints. You never know, though.
  • If not, would this be worth bringing up to (for example) a research professor at a university? I have no point of reference for how common tracks are. I haven't taken any photos, but could do so. 

Thanks, all :plant:

Edited by suture
clarity

Paleoworld-101

Sounds interesting. I am not familiar with this creek or its geology, but some photos would definitely help us evaluate if they are likely to be dinosaur tracks or not. 

Fossildude19

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

First step would be to take clear, detailed photos, of the entire "trackway", and of the best preserved individual depressions.

Bring a yardstick, ruler or tape measure to lay next to the individual tracks. 

Then upload some photos here. We'll be able to make a better estimation of what they are when we can see them. ;) 

BobWill

Was this find ever verified? If not and you don't want to post pictures you might contact the Dallas Paleontological Society. They work closely with all of the local museums and universities with the resources to investigate and research this kind of find. You can leave a message and arrange to meet an advance team of experts at 817-355-4693. Ask to be contacted by a member of the FBI, Fossil Bureau of Investigation.

https://www.dallaspaleo.org/