compasses

Bob Saunders

Do you carry a hand held compass, and what type or brand do you choose. I have my old Boy Scout and a simple one, and a pin on type.  I do have a good app on my cell phone but that would drain the battery with out a back up power cell. and a very nice marine hand held. So far I have not needed one yet but thinking future field collecting. 

I have a gps unit that I use instead of a compass. It takes AA batteries. 

It is very accurate, and lasts for a long time on one set of batteries.  Months. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Garmin makes a hand held for about $100.

or use a phone app, they work great.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I have a 1st gen Garmin eTrex handheld. It is great for getting back to places you've been before or back to your starting point if you get lost. It got me back to my vehicle when we decided to go off trail in White Sands National Monument. Talk about getting lost easily. All the dunes look the same.

A compass is only marginally useful without a detailed map of the area unless you have readily visible landmarks that you are familiar with.

• I found this Informative 1