Please - ID- fossilized monkey skull/stone?

Mwood86

I collect rocks from the beach on Oregon .  And I noticed this was in one of my many beach grabbings , rocks,and it appears to me that it is a fossilized monkey of some sort but it's squash down like it was liquefaction or something. I can litterally wistle loudly thru the nose and jaw and ear hole  . All are connected and it rattles like monkey brains or bones inside    has a entrance nose holes exit under the jaw and a big one right above it snows below its eyes .   And obviously jaw line of teeth on both sides . And intended sockets for eyes  on the side toward backof jaw has like a 

Like Frankenstein plug insertion . Similar to the rounding indication off the jaw of a monkey skeleton  ..  it looks like on monkey skulls , by mandular bone . that little roundlooking thing. 

15831833789413860908963307044352.jpg

Starts a new topic in the identification section here: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/forum/14-fossil-id/

Bad luck, your picture doesn’t work :shakehead:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

(Post moved to a new topic.)

@Mwood86 try unloading your photo directly to the Forum again.  Welcome.

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

:tiphat: My hat is off. The description is positively artistic. We will need a photo though. :)

I've been collecting rocks off of my local beaches for years now and they all get thrown in piles outside of my house until I have the time to go through and check out what I have accumulated, and I noticed this was in one of my many beach grabbings , ... Noticed that it looks alot like a dilapidated fossilized head of some sort it has clear indented spots where the eyessockets  would be , and  nostril holes that actually connect to inside of stone,  align all the way thru to the other holes on each side  , and the exterior of stone has lined slight formations of what looks where jaw line would ,lines   where the teeth would've been. appears to me that it is a fossilized new world monkey because of the posterior   tympanicum canal, it's on the flatter side where jawline ends  . It rattles like there fragments  in side , white flacklets come out if shake hard, out of the holes by mouth area. Strange . I don't know if y'all have  used a rifle bullet casing to whistle from , well  I can litterally wistle loudly thru the nose and ear hole  .. 

IMG_20200302_221831_01.jpg

IMG_20200302_221855_01.jpg

Sorry. I can see why you might think it's a skull, but it's just a suggestively shaped rock I'm afraid. 

The holes are likely where concretions dissolved away.

Agreed, geological in nature. Natural elements create lots of fascinating abstract shapes and as creative beings we tent to see things in them, particularly animals and faces. The phenomenon is known as pareidolia.

Oregon coast...  I imagine the hollows might have been dug by rock-boring clams so common over there.  Remains of them are both the white stuff you mentioned and the rattling.  

Like the others have said, not a monkey skull, or anyone's skull.  

• I found this Informative 2

It really is amazing sometimes what kind of forms wind, water and weather erosion can create with stones like this one. It's no wonder that newbies see all kinds of things in them.

Just to explain to you a bit: For those familiar with a bit of geology and paleontology, this is obviously a weathered sedimentary stone. As Mark mentioned above, teeth are always the parts of a skull which are preserved the longest and we don't see any. There is no sign of bone material on the surface of this form. A skull has no nostrils, just a gaping hole on the middle. Any skin and cartilage dissolve away generally long before any bone, let alone the teeth. Therefore no nose. jpc has described basically what it is for you.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

It’s a cool rock. It does resemble a monkey head. I’m not sure if that would be “see no evil” “speak no evil” or “hear no evil”

That is a nice looking rock!  I would put it on my shelf of curiosities just for the sheer enjoyment of it!