Bone with a Hole, Probable Pleistocene, Peace River, Florida

Bone Daddy

The wife and I went to Gardner yesterday (report and photos will be forthcoming), and I found a bunch of stuff. This is an oddball that I am not sure about. Something about it says to me "pleistocene megafauna" - it has a wood-grainy texture on the less-damaged portion. It's broken, but I am hoping that the position of the hole and shape might be diagnostic. Does anyone know what critter this comes from?

bone-hole-1.JPG

bone-hole-2.JPG

bone-hole-3.JPG

bone-hole-4.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Hole looks to me to be foramen on a portion vertebrae. Could it be a bison atlas or cervical vertebrae??

661fa8cffca60870afe9dd5e17a9a1f9[1].jpg

• I found this Informative 2

It does look like part of a vertebra, now that you mention it. My eyes didn't really put that together until you mentioned it.  :)

I wish I could figure out what creature it came from. I'm curious if it's something common or maybe something more interesting. There's probably not enough of it remaining to be diagnostic. I did a lot of googling and checked the sources I have (a couple of texts), but I can't match it to anything. Verts can be tricky, even when they are more complete.

I just finished cleaning up this other vertebra that was pulled from the same hole as the bone that started this thread. This specimen is very heavy and definitely fossilized. Are there enough features left on it to make a positive ID? Any help with either of these specimens would be greatly appreciated.  :)

vert-gard-1.JPG

vert-gard-2.JPG

vert-gard-3.JPG