Peace River Adventure

PODIGGER

It was a good day on the Peace River yesterday.  Started out a bit cool at 60 degrees but got up into the high 70's by the afternoon.  I was pretty much prospecting as I moved farther north up river from the area I had been hunting for the last few months.  This required a portage of my equipment and inflatable kayak over a set of rapids.  It went well and I was back on my way in under 10 minutes.  I came upon an area that showed signs of previous hunting and decided to check it out.  I started probing and found a large gravel bed.  So the digging began.  I got numerous small shark teeth of all varieties in just about every pile I moved thru the sifter.  First nice find was a horse molar followed by a partial deer antler. Working the area all day added a nice variety of finds.  Turtle shell, mammal ear bone, unk vert, eagle ray tooth frags, whale tooth, shark teeth - hemi, bull, lemon, tiger, partial megs and more (over 300 shark teeth/partials).  Nicest finds in my opinion are what I believe to be a bison metacarpal and a tooth that seems to be either a whale tooth or some kind of feline incisor.  I found the bison metacarpal when going back to the kayak for a break.  The water was so shallow and clear I spotted the bone sitting on the river bottom as I neared the boat!  I will post additional photos of the bison metacarpal and possible whale tooth or feline incisor in the ID section for help with the ID.

I got so involved with my discoveries the time slipped away and I started back about an hour later than usual.  With the portage again needed to get back I was running late and this prompted a phone call from my wife checking to make sure I hadn't flipped the kayak or gotten swallowed by one of the local gators!  Thankfully, cell reception is pretty good on this section of the river!  If I hadn't answered I don't how long she would have waited to report me missing!  Can't wait to get back out there!

20200304_120156_resized.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Thank you Harry.  I was looking at that graphic last night from one of your prior posts.  Honestly, I am still not clear on the difference.  The bison in the graphic looks wider, I don't know if measurements would help?  I do see the difference at 5 where the bison looks to have a bump out of sorts. I am about to post the one I found in the ID section along with the 2  possible whale teeth.  I would appreciate your comments on those.  Thanks.

Looks like you had a good day out there :fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

jcbshark -  thanks it was a good day especially as it was new territory for me and I didn't expect to be rewarded with so much.

Harry - Thank you for pointing out the groove.  This makes the distinction obvious.

We were out on the river at the same time, just several miles apart.  :)

I'd say you did better than I did. I found a lot of stuff, but most of it was dugong ribs. I didn't find any good mammal teeth and you did a lot better on shark teeth than I did.  That bone and vert are pretty nice too.

Do you ever worry about snagging your inflatable kayak on sharp rocks?  Just curious. Some stretches can get pretty rocky when the water gets low.

Glad you were able to get out to the river!  I didn't see another soul yesterday.  My only visitors were a few cows grazing close to the river bank.

I do worry about the rocks and submerged branches.  The kayak is a Sea Eagle and they are very durable.  I have scraped along on some things I didn't see in time, but luckily have not had the kayak damaged.   I use it because I can roll it up and load it into the back of my jeep and storage in the garage doesn't take up a lot of space.  

• I found this Informative 1

Those Sea Eagles are pretty nice. And I see they have a high-end one with a single seat that runs close to $1k!  I had no idea that inflatables had gotten so high-tech. Even the cheaper ones are lot better than they used to be. I like the idea of something that breaks down and could be carried a long distance to reach remote waters. And it would be nice to have something that didn't need a truck or trailer to transport. Just throw it in the trunk or backseat of the car.

The ability to just throw it in the back of the jeep was my major motivation for going with it.  That and the fact I purchased it with credit card points - no out of pocket cash expense.

On 3/6/2020 at 8:32 AM, PODIGGER said:

The ability to just throw it in the back of the jeep was my major motivation for going with it.  That and the fact I purchased it with credit card points - no out of pocket cash expense.

I can see the appeal. Like I said, I was always curious about them, but a little hesitant because of my fear of snagging it on something. Then, I got a tandem kayak for Xmas and then my stepson gave me his two single kayaks when he moved away, so I ended up with three kayaks and a canoe, so I doubt I'll ever get an inflatable now - unless I find a really lightweight model that could be reasonably carried a good distance in a backpack.