A piece of coral

Shellseeker

I was out to a marine location today, and besides some nicely colored little shark teeth, there were 2 items that are trip makers.  One is a small piece of coral, 2+ inches wide.

Coral_Top.JPG.4ecd656ccc64178a3b7bb999e94a5996.JPGCoral_Base1.JPG.2130c8ef4058a79ce5eeba2eee846186.JPGCoral_Base.JPG.dcd05e524c2f862c2263c76b7da099b6.JPG

I would love an Identification, but I have other simpler questions.

This piece of coral looks "complete".  Is it?

What happened to whatever it was attached to?

Because there are polyp remains in the "holes", does that mean the holes were original?

There are about 200-300 polyps on top of the coral.. Did this coral "die" at that point or could it have grown larger?  much larger.

I am relatively new to coral fossils.  Any insights unique to this fossil are greatly appreciated!!

• I found this Informative 3

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

The coral died when sea level dropped during the last faze of the Pleistocene glaciation 14.438 thousand years ago. It was broken from a limestone outcrop by a native named Argka to use smoothing the seat of his dugout canoe. Those aren't polyps. It's the cypress fibers from the canoe seat. ;) 

5 hours ago, Rockwood said:

The coral died when sea level dropped during the last faze of the Pleistocene glaciation 14.438 thousand years ago. It was broken from a limestone outcrop by a native named Argka to use smoothing the seat of his dugout canoe. Those aren't polyps. It's the cypress fibers from the canoe seat. ;) 

Thanks for the insightful response. :fistbump:.  I always like to consider the questions and wonder about the unknowable...  http://www.flseagrant.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SLR-Fact-Sheet_dual-column-letterhead_8.2.13_pdf.pdf Following your thoughts,  I found this: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1d/Post-Glacial_Sea_Level.png

image.thumb.png.095e417d9b91377a91799b1b10f8f57f.png

So a very likely cause of ANY coral demise, resulting in fossil coral is the drastic changes in sea level over the eons...  A coral existing in the relatively shallow, sunlight infused salt water 30 miles inland (more likely about 8000 years ago to obtain optimum water depth for coral ) from the current edge of the Gulf of Mexico as the saltwater rose would have died from the lack of sunlight...OR cooling temperatures,

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Looks a bit similar to Hexagonaria a colonial rugose coral from Lake Michigan. Yours seems to have more star shaped septa. 

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

I always like to consider the questions and wonder about the unknowable.

The knowable starts with the imaginable.

Research Montastraea coral. :) 

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Hi Jack

I got your pm.  The best online resource for corals is the NMITA website LINK.  It is not the easiest to use because it assumes you know a little about coral taxonomy to search in the individual families.  I have been collecting in the coral facies of the Tamiami for the past few years and have forced myself to learn about corals although they are always difficult to identify.

Yours is Siderastrea pliocenica LINK found in both the Tamiami and Caloosahatchee Formations.

Mike

• I found this Informative 4

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

57 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Hi Jack

I got your pm.  The best online resource for corals is the NMITA website LINK.  It is not the easiest to use because it assumes you know a little about coral taxonomy to search in the individual families.  I have been collecting in the coral facies of the Tamiami for the past few years and have forced myself to learn about corals although they are always difficult to identify.

Yours is Siderastrea pliocenica LINK found in both the Tamiami and Caloosahatchee Formations.

Mike

Mike,  Thank you.

With this identification,  I am thinking Siderastrea pliocenica for the bottom fossil and Dichocoenia_stokesi ?? for the top 2 fossils.

IMG_2859.thumb.JPG.40d04406849e4a0be5715bbed16b6d9a.JPG

and also Dichocoenia_stokesi for the following 2... These 4 have some differences but also seem very similar.IMG_2857.thumb.jpg.abe7e895799d2eb59f44d5727409015a.jpg

IMG_2858.thumb.JPG.29af68a5c724045a657fd18dfbd170f5.JPG

7 hours ago, oyo said:

Siderastrea. Complet colony, yes.

Good work! 

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

A couple of more corals, with my tentative IDs, from the same location2Corals.JPG.0ab46ccf0bb3aedd929e469852c60cba.JPG:

So, at least 4 types of small corals, with some or most present in modern Florida waters.

Do any of these tend to identify the Formation or time frame (Pleistocene, Miocene, Pliocene) of the location ?

2 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Good work! 

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

Absolutely Agree, @oyo.  Welcome to TFF,  Thanks for the response.  A single "Yes" to possibly multiple questions:

Because there are polyp remains in the "holes", does that mean the holes were original?

There are about 200-300 polyps on top of the coral.. Did this coral "die" at that point or could it have grown larger?  much larger.

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

There are about 200-300 polyps on top of the coral..

It seems you mix up the terms polyp and corallite.

The polyps lived inside the fossilized corallites that are visible all around your rock.

No polyps are present, they do not fossilize. 

• I found this Informative 2

1 minute ago, Pippa said:

The polyps lived inside the fossilized corallites that are visible all around your rock.

Agree, you are correct. There are no polyps left here.  Jack

7 hours ago, Pippa said:

Good clarification :thumbsu:

9 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Absolutely Agree, @oyo.  Welcome to TFF,  Thanks for the response.  A single "Yes" to possibly multiple questions:

Yes, I think the holes were original. Probably caused by some kind of litophago or something that encompassed the colony in its growth. Hard to insure.

And yes, the coral could have grown larger, even much larger.

@ Tidgy's Dad, @Shellseeker. Thanks for the welcome.

• I found this Informative 3

For those like me who are not familiar with the word:

Lithophaga, the date mussels, are a genus of medium-sized marine bivalve molluscs in the family Mytilidae. Some of the earliest fossil Lithophaga shells have been found in Mesozoic rocks from the Alps and from Vancouver Island.[2][3]

The shells of species in this genus are long and narrow with parallel sides. The animals bore into stone or coral rock with the help of pallial gland secretions,[4] hence the systematic name Lithophaga, which means "stone-eater". Their club-shaped borings are given the trace fossil name Gastrochaenolites.[3]

I have seen numerous similar boring holes in dugong ribs and even in Megalodon roots. Maybe this bivalve or a related one.

@MikeR

For whatever reason, I have a broken LINK,

In searching for additional details on Siderastrea pliocenica, I found this website, which has a few corals but a lot of great details on the ones it does have.

https://neogeneatlas.net/species/siderastrea-pliocenica/

NeogeneAtlasofSoutheasternUnitedStates.JPG.6185ca04d058718af6591729cd896397.JPG

Siderastrea_pliocenica-OriginalFiguredSpecimen.JPG.a13609520830cd3c2c7c1aade4d1843a.JPG

22 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Mike,  Thank you.

With this identification,  I am thinking Siderastrea pliocenica for the bottom fossil and Dichocoenia_stokesi ?? for the top 2 fossils.

and also Dichocoenia_stokesi for the following 2... These 4 have some differences but also seem very similar.

The first are very worn however I think all of them are Dichocoenia caloosahatchiensis.  The coralites are different on D. stokesi as follows:

IMG_1780.thumb.JPG.e3d2c0f80cd19adf1cfc8b61b94981be.JPG

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

22 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

A couple of more corals, with my tentative IDs, from the same location:

So, at least 4 types of small corals, with some or most present in modern Florida waters.

Do any of these tend to identify the Formation or time frame (Pleistocene, Miocene, Pliocene) of the location ?

The coral head is Solenastrea hyades.  I would need a side view of the other but it is either Placocyathus or Thysanus.

7 minutes ago, MikeR said:

The coral head is Solenastrea hyades.  I would need a side view of the other but it is either Placocyathus or Thysanus.

I can see that I am not that close in differentiating these corals. I'll work on it. :headscratch:Thanks for your skills and expertise.

IMG_2110.thumb.JPEG.1ccfe2b123539b9f931d4f585bc090b3.JPEGIMG_2111.thumb.JPEG.10f72426c4efc9885f2f22ab0e786b82.JPEG

I think that is  Thysanus excentricus.  Try this page for more coral examples LINK.