Sometimes, it's not a rock !!!!

Shellseeker

I was hunting in a predominately marine fossil location, finding only small shark teeth. After a couple of hours, I suddenly found larger bones, (ribs, jaw??) and then a piece of coral, and then this non-rock... 9 by 12 inches  !!! and either Atlas or Axis Vertebrae!!!!  I had a feeling that it was whale !!! (thinking teeth) but not sure..

IMG_2844.thumb.jpg.5ca0e4057fa36702b856247abb6feff2.jpg

Any day with a great whale fossil is a great trip!!!

I scrambled to dig 4-5 more sieves, but just found more small shark teeth... RATS !!!!

On the way home, I managed to search images of Whale Atlas and Axis verts, and determined that this one is an Atlas vert from a baleen whale.  I wondered about the size of a whale that has a 12 inch Atlas vert!!!!

This is amazingly well preserved...

Here are a couple more Atlas verts... one that is supposedly a juvenile sperm whale, and another from Aurora dolphins...  I am surprised that dolphins (with teeth) have an atlas vert very similar to Baleen whales.

Let's see what @Boesse thinks about similarities and differences in whale verts..

mystery148bJuvenileSpermWhaleAtlas.jpg.e11518ebfc3adf92b13b7b950cc21564.jpg10_Dolphin_Atlas.jpg.337de0ae06610ed4db6e425ef0743d5b.jpg

• I found this Informative 15
fifbrindacier
3 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

I am surprised that dolphins (with teeth) have an atlas vert very similar to Baleen whales.

Let's see what @Boesse thinks about similarities and differences in whale verts..

It's certainly because the Mysticeti and the Odontoceti are not separate since a long geologic time and also because it has its utility for both genus.

But i know you know it yet.:)

The Amateur Paleontologist

Amazing find - that's a beautiful vertebra :) 

@Tidgy's Dad I really like your new profile picture gif

• I found this Informative 1
Tidgy's Dad
1 hour ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Amazing find - that's a beautiful vertebra :) 

@Tidgy's Dad I really like your new profile picture gif

Me too. 

Courtesy of @Pagurus

• I found this Informative 3
fifbrindacier
58 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Me too. 

Courtesy of @Pagurus

I love it too.

• I found this Informative 2

Owing to the large size and breadth of each condylar fossa/facet, this is probably baleen whale.

• I found this Informative 3
Shellseeker
2 hours ago, Boesse said:

Owing to the large size and breadth of each condylar fossa/facet, this is probably baleen whale.

Thanks , Bobby

Found this photo that taught me a little about condyloid facets, which side the Axis vert connects, and proper orientation... Also found what appears what seem to be whale rib fragments, other vert sections and previously Baleen ear bones.

Atlas-and-axis-of-Fucaia-buelli-Axis-in-a-anterior-and-b-posterior-view-atlas-in.thumb.png.e35f1dbeb30ca0a3e3c8156857f81bca.png

• I found this Informative 1

Great find. That is a trip-maker. And good eye for not passing it up!

Great find!

Atlas verts are remarkably similar amongst all vertebrate species, probably due to the similar utility. 

Awesome find Jack! :yay-smiley-1:Sure don’t see too many of those!