Blue Petrified Wood Real?

Aceofspades

Hi, 

Is this real petrified wood? Never seen blue in wood before? I also haven’t seen any petrified wood faked. 

Seller seems legit and the information he/she provided about age and area check out. Any help appreciated.

Travis 

B87C7331-454E-4A71-AF21-4FBD85E3705E.jpeg

253EB443-EB3A-43F8-80ED-2149ACD487F5.jpeg

518BB4FA-13C8-4686-BA95-8BCB25705FDA.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Pterygotus said:

I don’t think this is wood but instead some kind of mineral.

Do you mean that this is not organic wood or it is not petrified wood?

There is a suggestion of growth rings that cross the blue areas. This probably is a piece of petrified wood.

I think that what @Aceofspades

was partly asking is: is the blue coloring natural or artificial.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I was asking about it being real petrified wood and the colouring. The only thing I could really find on the internet about blue colour in petrified wood was saying the blue might be chrome?? 

The third photo just doesn’t look like wood to me, my knowledge is limited and it’s hard to compare to photos of other pieces from that site (Lune River Tasmania Australia) online. 

It could be wood. 

Petrified wood had often been replaced by a microcystalline/ cryptocystalline variety of quartz such as agate, and the colouring is sometimes determined by trace elements. Blue is a possibility, I have some lighter blue specimens myself. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Blue color might be caused by trace copper elements as in Azurite.

5 hours ago, Aceofspades said:

Hi, 

Is this real petrified wood? Never seen blue in wood before? I also haven’t seen any petrified wood faked. 

Seller seems legit and the information he/she provided about age and area check out. Any help appreciated.

Travis 

B87C7331-454E-4A71-AF21-4FBD85E3705E.jpeg

Yes there is such a "thing" as blue petrified wood.  They are mostly from The Blue Forest, Eden Valley of Wyoming and also (to a limited extent) from Stinking Water Pass, Burns, Oregon.  That being said, I don't see any of the tell tale signs of growth rings on you specimen.  See some examples of real, blue petrified wood below

Blue forest3.jpg

Blue forest2.jpg

Blue forest1.jpg

Stinking wood.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

I think it is obviously real petrified wood, for those of you that don’t see the rings, look again - the first photo is an end cut with the center of the tree being above the top of the photo.  The rings are just widely spaced.  However, I can’t tell if the color is real or dyed.  There is no other obvious sign of Copper mineralization or anything that would clearly explain the color being natural.  On the other hand if it were fake, I might have expected dye everywhere which I also don’t see.  I’m leaning towards real, but with color having been enhanced / photoshopped in the image.

Thanks everyone for your responses. After the information I’ve received on here, local fossil club and the general internet I don’t think it is petrified wood. I think it a rock that has been cut and the seller thinks it’s petrified wood because of the area or they figure they can get more money for it by labelling it as petrified wood.

The lack of visible growth rings and comparison with other petrified wood from that area are the main reasons for my conclusion. On the other hand I could also be completely wrong. 

I see wood.  Look at the growth rings inthe third photo, and in the first.  The only strangepart is that indeed, the rings seem to go into the blue, which I would have thought were infilled vugs.

38 minutes ago, jpc said:

I see wood.  Look at the growth rings inthe third photo, and in the first.  The only strangepart is that indeed, the rings seem to go into the blue, which I would have thought were infilled vugs.

I noticed the rings going into the blue areas too. The blue looks rather unnatural to me. I have never seen any non dyed agate quite that deep blue. 

The blue areas are not infilled vugs. It looks like the rock might have been mostly like the translucent blue areas with the rings going through the entire rock. It appears that there was alteration by fluids along cracks that turned the rock tan and brownish. 

The exterior of the rock looks rather wood like.

B5F1D809-F674-4E35-A6BC-C4F659F3E0DB.jpeg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Lune River, Tasmania is a famous locality among petrified wood collectors. It is particularly well-known for its fossil ferns. But I have never seen anything this blue from there... from nowhere, really...

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Hey Aceofspades, I agree with paleoflor Lune River petrified fern.  Here's an example I found that looks a lot like yours.  I also agree with paleoflor about the colour, I've never seen anything that blue.....

Petrified_wood__150830_07.jpg

It could be wood, but it doesn't look like any of the Blue Forest specimens from Wyoming that I've ever seen.

Real wood, most likely that what Potch Picker showed.

It's not unusual, that the sellers colouring their wood to make it more attractive....;)

• 3 weeks later...

If it is was for sale on a reputable fossil website I would run the risk and buy it since blue is my favourite colour but online is full of rocks and fossil that claim be things they aren’t. 

I think I will save the money and get a good piece from the Wyoming Blue Forest. Thanks again guys.