Sources on the relation between modern Lissamphibia and stem tetrapods

Mahnmut

Hello together,

I am looking for papers about the relation between modern amphibians and stem tetrapods (this time not for model building purposes but for an academic paper I write on amphibians as model organisms ( I have the medical topics covered but wanted to include a bit of palaeontology).

Also, is there any hint in the fossil record on limb regeneration like some modern amphibia can  do?

Thanks,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2020 at 10:27 AM, Mahnmut said:

Hello together,

I am looking for papers about the relation between modern amphibians and stem tetrapods (this time not for model building purposes but for an academic paper I write on amphibians as model organisms ( I have the medical topics covered but wanted to include a bit of palaeontology).

Also, is there any hint in the fossil record on limb regeneration like some modern amphibia can  do?

Thanks,

J

There are a few papers on this topic by Nadia Frobisch (Museum fur Naturkunde, Berlin), Igor Schneider, and colleagues, although Frobisch has some specific opinions about the phylogeny which are probably incorrect.

In terms of the phylogenetic relationships, stem-tetrapods are by definition tetrapods that diverged prior to divergence of amniotes and lissamphibians. Which tetrapods are stem-amphibians, stem-amniotes, and stem-tetrapods is controversial, but I can send you a list of references with interpretations if you'd like.  Or, alternately, PM me and we can discuss this further. I'm an early tetrapod subject matter expert and a happy to help walk you through the details of the tree as well as the controversies.

The Rise of Amphibians: 365 Million Years of Evolution is a pretty good book.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

What I'll say about Rise of Amphibians is that Bob Carroll has some very specific strong opinions about amphibian origins which have not been borne out by the data, and that there has been a substantial amount of work on this subject since its publication. Early tetrapod phylogeny and lissamphibian origins are rapidly-shifting bodies of research, with major changes and major new hypotheses having been introduced in just the last handful of years, as well as many important new fossils and fossil data.

• I found this Informative 1

The s364 course from the open university had a good section on this