The Secret Life of Ammonites

Ludwigia

A couple of weeks ago I posted here about the working of chemical erosion on some ammonites which I had found in a furrow between 2 fields. I went back there again this week and continued along, pulling out a few more. The furrow dipped down a bit into a sort of hollow where it became obvious that the water had collected there more profusely than above over the years and the finds became more and more eroded until it reached the point where the digging was hardly worth it any more. There were however a couple of quite interesting finds which I'd like to post here. They derive from Macrocephalites ammonites, but have been eroded away to such a point that the (usually invisible) septal chambers and walls can be seen right into the center.

A1528a.thumb.jpg.8c340a9af1be64dfc63b4529428429f6.jpg

A1529a.thumb.jpg.c74069dcff0ff6c37e3c126b65309293.jpg

• I found this Informative 16

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Now that’s something you don’t see everyday! 

Being in such an eroded state, they may not be the most beautiful ammonites, but they sure are some of the most interesting I’ve ever seen. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

@Ludwigia  Are these ammonites replaced with quartz?  I love imperfect fossils that show internal structure.

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

They are really beautiful, interesting thread. I am going to keep my eye out for one.:wub:

8 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Now that’s something you don’t see everyday! 

Being in such an eroded state, they may not be the most beautiful ammonites, but they sure are some of the most interesting I’ve ever seen. 

That's the main reason I posted them :)

7 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

@Ludwigia  Are these ammonites replaced with quartz?  I love imperfect fossils that show internal structure.

Calcite.

7 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

They are really beautiful, interesting thread. I am going to keep my eye out for one.:wub:

The Jurassic coast, eg., may have some available in the Middle Jurassic sections.

• I found this Informative 2

The second one reminds me of a Pleurodictyum coral colony. But alas, the Mesozoic does not have any tabulate corals. Great specimens just the same.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, Shamalama said:

The second one reminds me of a Pleurodictyum coral colony. But alas, the Mesozoic does not have any tabulate corals. Great specimens just the same.

I think I see what you mean.

1 hour ago, dinosaur man said:

Amazing finds!!

On 3/5/2020 at 6:02 PM, Ludwigia said:

A couple of weeks ago I posted here about the working of chemical erosion on some ammonites which I had found in a furrow between 2 fields. I went back there again this week and continued along, pulling out a few more. The furrow dipped down a bit into a sort of hollow where it became obvious that the water had collected there more profusely than above over the years and the finds became more and more eroded until it reached the point where the digging was hardly worth it any more. There were however a couple of quite interesting finds which I'd like to post here. They derive from Macrocephalites ammonites, but have been eroded away to such a point that the (usually invisible) septal chambers and walls can be seen right into the center.

A1528a.thumb.jpg.8c340a9af1be64dfc63b4529428429f6.jpg

A1529a.thumb.jpg.c74069dcff0ff6c37e3c126b65309293.jpg

These are the kind of unique fossils I am always attracted to.  Common fossils but with a very unique twist to them making them "eye catching".  Thanks for posting.