Fossilized wood part 1

Bonehunter

Hi all!

I have a series of photos of the extent of my fossil wood findings- two medium sized pieces here, then a collection of small pieces (part 2) and my smoker (part 3), a 25lb "branch"?. All found in the Columbia/Kansas City Missouri area over the past 5-8 years. Any thoughts on potential species/taxa and age would be appreciated!. Part 1 is the two medium sized pieces- the lighter/larger was from Columbia Missouri and the other in KC. Two side views, a close up side view, and the end of the lighter, then two side views, and close up of the side, and the end of the darker piece. Thanks for looking!

Bone

IMG_5456.JPG.665d45f8d3b3b80e7cd5f2bb4a7c0dc3.JPGIMG_5457.JPG.9ee28d1a4df6654259a20b3f7729ceb9.JPGIMG_5458.JPG.3dc5656bdbdf91f5245687406f09ba2e.JPGIMG_5459.JPG.404a92a6d9bc4afa65cb2d418c128227.JPGIMG_5460.JPG.291518226b14c641f388a41cb0e34fdf.JPGIMG_5461.JPG.865447ee5b2fc35a6fb79064f67e18f5.JPG

Regarding age check out a geology map of Missouri to see the age of the areas of your finds.  Go here:  https://dnr.mo.gov/pubs/pub2514.pdf

Regarding the type of wood, this is much more difficult.  Unless it is something obvious, such as palm-wood or some carboniferous plants ID'able by bark, a thin slice microscope inspection by someone knowledgeable in wood grain identification is often required.

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, Rockwood said:

An end view is in order as well.

Ill get some better pics, but the bottom two are end shots of each....  thanks!   Bone

4 hours ago, grandpa said:

Regarding age check out a geology map of Missouri to see the age of the areas of your finds.  Go here:  https://dnr.mo.gov/pubs/pub2514.pdf

Regarding the type of wood, this is much more difficult.  Unless it is something obvious, such as palm-wood or some carboniferous plants ID'able by bark, a thin slice microscope inspection by someone knowledgeable in wood grain identification is often required.

Thanks for all the suggestions!- appreciate it!    Bone

8 hours ago, grandpa said:

a thin slice microscope inspection by someone knowledgeable in wood grain identification is often required.

3 hours ago, Bonehunter said:

Ill get some better pics, but the bottom two are end shots of each....  thanks!   Bone

I think @grandpa has covered it already then. 

Same answer for bone.