Worm Or Serpent Like

Steve Jr

I'm new to fossils, and I can't find anything quite like this one.

DSC_4809.jpg

"The question is not whether we will die, but how we will live." -Joan Borysenko

I agree with Ophiura. An "ichnofossil", or trace of an animal's activity. It could have been a burrow in the mud (now revealed by erosion of the rock), or a trackway on the mud, here revealed when the rock split along a bedding plane.

I'm having to assume it's size as 3/8-3/4" wide...something in the pic for scale can be very helpful.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I've seen burrows, it's no burrow.

Any thoughts on you think it is?

"The question is not whether we will die, but how we will live." -Joan Borysenko

Guest Smilodon

I agree with Ophiura. An "ichnofossil", or trace of an animal's activity. It could have been a burrow in the mud (now revealed by erosion of the rock), or a trackway on the mud, here revealed when the rock split along a bedding plane.

I'm having to assume it's size as 3/8-3/4" wide...something in the pic for scale can be very helpful.

I have one just like it (well a little better defined.) It comes from a site with prodigious amounts of Pennsylvanian reptile/lizard tracks from Oklahoma. I'm looking for my photos.

Guest Smilodon

Any thoughts on you think it is?

I've always assumed some sort of worm trail, but I've never found anyone that could or would make an educated guess.

I've always assumed some sort of worm trail, but I've never found anyone that could or would make an educated guess.

Well I was thinking and looking, it may be a long shot but I thought it might be a Trilobite trail. But again I have no experience to any of this I'm new to all this.

Guest Smilodon

Well I was thinking and looking, it may be a long shot but I thought it might be a Trilobite trail. But again I have no experience to any of this I'm new to all this.

Trilobite trails are quite different, and no paleozoic dudes I ever showed it to mentioned trilobite.

Tis a mystery.

Size reference?

I've seen things like this labeled as crinoid stem impressions

I didn't think about size reference but now I know, the "tube" is about 3/8" wide. I found a site that described this:

Chevron-ridged or indented markings are usually trace fossils, also called ichnofossils. Trails of worms, snails, and other invertebrates can be preserved as fossils and leave many different kinds of shapes. Often the shape is the same color and texture as the surrounding rock.

This does sound like my fossil.

I definitely agree that it is an invertebrate trace fossil of some kind. The curved "segment" walls are a common feature of animals moving through sediment and packing it in behind them as they go.

Guest Smilodon

I'm new to fossils, and I can't find anything quite like this one.

DSC_4809.jpg

Found it! Like your specimen, I always found the curve in the trail to be so graceful.

post-2027-12589945936127_thumb.jpg

Found near Wagner, Oklahoma

A general location as to where it was found would be helpful, geologically. If you found it in a certain county in Ohio, it could limit the possibilities for an ID. If you found it visiting elsewhere (say central Texas), then some would really get all googly-eyed.

Edited by JohnJ

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Found it! Like your specimen, I always found the curve in the trail to be so graceful.

post-2027-12589945936127_thumb.jpg

Found near Wagner, Oklahoma

Perfect match, and showing more detail.

I like ichnos.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

A general location as to where it was found would be helpful, geologically. If you found it in a certain county in Ohio, it could limit the possibilities for an ID. If you found it visiting elsewhere (say central Texas), then some would really get all googly-eyed.

Sorry in my trips post I told location I just overlooked it here by accident. It was out of a creek in Scioto County, OH. My other post shows another rock I found in the same creek with a very large number of impressions.

I agree with Carl. Definately a trace from an invert!

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

• 9 years later...

So this is probably the same then, yes? Found this in Peru, KS. There was ALOT more of it. This was all that was easy to get without just destroying how amazing it was.

20190521_074809.jpg

Edited by Acelicious
Additional info

Yes, ... something like one of these:

F8.large.jpg

Possibly Beaconites.

PS; Welcome to the Forum. :)

It's a nice find. 

• I found this Informative 5

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice find indeed! 

Hello and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

The OP and the recent post are: Scalarituba missouriensis

Conkin, J.E., & Conkin, B.M. 1968

Scalarituba missouriensis and its stratigraphic distribution.

The University of Kansas Paleontological Contributions, 31:1-7  PDF LINK

image.thumb.png.e76077224d9fa2954f5ab3ffa5bcd186.png

• I found this Informative 4

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png