Here are a couple of dinosaur teeth (tyrannosauroid and hadrosaurid) from Bladen County, North Carolina.

RSCN2720.JPG

RSCN2743.JPG

RSCN2719.JPG

• I found this Informative 13

Both beautiful but I think I like the hadrosaurid most. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Steven these are awesome. I also have two tyrannosaurid teeth from the Black Creek Group. Really like the hadrosaurid though.

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

Super cool, congrat, great addition to your collection.  Any dino material from the east coast is special.

Very nice and in good condition. Did you happen to find these yourself? I couldn’t even begin to imagine screening one of those out!

14 hours ago, Praefectus said:

Nice finds!

14 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Both beautiful but I think I like the hadrosaurid most. :)

Thanks guys :dinothumb:

7 hours ago, Jaimin013 said:

Steven these are awesome. I also have a two tyrannosaurid teeth from the Black Creek Group. Really like the hadrosaurid though.

Thanks Jaimin.  Please feel free to post photos of yours on this thread :dinothumb:

7 hours ago, Troodon said:

Super cool, congrat, great addition to your collection.  Any dino material from the east coast is special.

Thank you, happy to add them to the collection. 

36 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

Very nice and in good condition. Did you happen to find these yourself? I couldn’t even begin to imagine screening one of those out!

Thank you.  I wish I found them, but a friend did.

• I found this Informative 1

@StevenJD As we discussed - this is probably the best images that I can do with what I have right now until I can get a proper microscope. Was extremely difficult to capture as I was trying to keep the tooth in place, hold the ruler, the lens and smartphone in place at the same time! Captured on a smartphone through the lens of one of those magnifying glasses you wear as regular glasses. Between the two longer lines is a 5mm length.

First pic 12.5 serrations across 5mm

20200308_131150.jpg

2nd - 13.5 in 5mm however i'd probably go by the count in the first pic if you look at the angle I took the second pic. Seems almost due to the curve in the tooth that the top part of the tooth was sitting on top of the ruler rather than flush against the surface of the ruler like the first pic. Both pics are of the same tooth my other tooth doesn't have serrations anymore they are too worn.

20200308_131038.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

@Jaimin013

I have trouble taking clear close-ups of serrations too.  My tooth is 13/5mm, so similar to your tooth.  I could be wrong, but I think Dryptosaurus has a lower count than what our counts are. 

I'm away from home at the moment, but when I get back, I'll see if I can take some close-ups.  

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, StevenJD said:

@Jaimin013

I have trouble taking clear close-ups of serrations too.  My tooth is 13/5mm, so similar to your tooth.  I could be wrong, but I think Dryptosaurus has a lower count than what our counts are. 

I'm away from home at the moment, but when I get back, I'll see if I can take some close-ups.  

Ok thanks! I don't think I did a too bad job although took a while. I think Troodon previously mentioned on a previous post that the range like my tooth is finer than the holotype which was 8 on the distal edge and 9.5 on the mesial one. Unfortunately the sampling size is not very large to draw any conclusions but they are different. That tooth was 47mm tall compared to mine which is smaller. Frank study with Trex teeth in his collection showed serration decrease in density as they get larger.

A couple of fyi tidbits :

1) 2018 paper : The biogeography and ecology of the Cretaceous non-avian dinosaurs of Appalachia - By Chase D. Brownstein  makes the following statement 

"In addition to Dryptosaurus aquilunguis, material assigned to the tyrannosauroid dinosaur Appalachiosaurus montgomeriensis was reported from Stokes Quarry by Schwimmer et al. (2015). Therefore, two large tyrannosauroid dinosaurs were present in the Tar Heel-Coachman non-avian dinosaur fauna." 

2) Both of these theropod are not Tyrannosaurids but Tyrannosauroids 

3)Tooth Characteristics what was reported:

Dryptosaurus: holotype

Distal density midline 8.5/5mm

Mestal density midline 9/5mm

Interdenticular sulci present distal carina

Appalachiosaurus: holotype 

Distal density midline 11/5 mm

Distal density base 16/5 mm

Mesial not reported but thought to be close to distal.  Mesial carina has lingual twists 

• I found this Informative 6

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

A couple of fyi tidbits :

1) 2018 paper : The biogeography and ecology of the Cretaceous non-avian dinosaurs of Appalachia - By Chase D. Brownstein  makes the following statement 

"In addition to Dryptosaurus aquilunguis, material assigned to the tyrannosauroid dinosaur Appalachiosaurus montgomeriensis was reported from Stokes Quarry by Schwimmer et al. (2015). Therefore, two large tyrannosauroid dinosaurs were present in the Tar Heel-Coachman non-avian dinosaur fauna." 

2) Both of these theropod are not Tyrannosaurids but Tyrannosauroids 

3)Tooth Characteristics what was reported:

Dryptosaurus: holotype

Distal density midline 8.5/5mm

Mestal density midline 9/5mm

Interdenticular sulci present distal carina

Appalachiosaurus: holotype 

Distal density midline 11/5 mm

Distal density base 16/5 mm

Mesial not reported but thought to be close to distal.  Mesial carina has lingual twists 

Thanks alot very informative. I'm leaning towards Appalachiosaurus

2 hours ago, fossilsonwheels said:

Wow those are great teeth from a great location. Congrats