Summer ramble planning, suggestions welcome

RandyB

Planning another summer ramble across a wide swath of the US for siteseeing and fossil hunting. Going to hit some previous sites like Kemmerer and Big Cedar Ridge in Wyoming along with planned stops for a guided dino excursion at a private ranch in eastern Montana and a trilobite dig at Theisen quarry in Oklahoma. 

I will be zigzagging across much of Montana and Wyoming and would be interested in other suggested stops on the way if anyone has anything they are willing to share. Not looking for someones secret stash, just publicly known places the wife and I might be able to stop for an hour or two as we roll through. We will also be traveling through places like western Nebraska,  Oklahoma, southern Alabama, etc. 

I am interested in any era, invertebrate, vertebrate, plant. Looking to expand my personal collection and maybe pick up a few pieces to trade or auction off here.  I have the most flexibility while in the north, but I have been trying to see if I can detour to squeeze in at least a little Alabama carboniferous as I have seen many beautiful specimens posted and I love plant fossils. We shall see. 

I have the rockhounding guides for the northern states and have tagged several possibilities, I have also been combing through previous posts and searching other references online.  

I would love to identify an ammonite location along the way as I have never managed to collect one myself.

Thanks in advance,

Randy

• I found this Informative 1

• 1 month later...

Not sure this trip is going to happen, but letting folks who might have been thinking about heading out for a beginner dino experience that Baisch's Dinosaur Digs has decided to suspend all trips for the summer of 2020.  Was hoping to find my first dinosaur fossil, but I guess that will have to wait for another year.  Still hoping I will get to head out west and south later this year, but we shall see.

Stay safe gang,

Randy

33 minutes ago, RandyB said:

Not sure this trip is going to happen, but letting folks who might have been thinking about heading out for a beginner dino experience that Baisch's Dinosaur Digs has decided to suspend all trips for the summer of 2020.  Was hoping to find my first dinosaur fossil, but I guess that will have to wait for another year.  Still hoping I will get to head out west and south later this year, but we shall see.

Stay safe gang,

Randy

It is hard to plan anything right now. There are too many unknowns:unsure: I would be happy for a day trip somewhere..........

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

If traveling on I-90 and passing through Wisconsin/Minnesota, I can put you on some spots.  

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2020 at 9:44 PM, minnbuckeye said:

If traveling on I-90 and passing through Wisconsin/Minnesota, I can put you on some spots.  

Mike

Thanks Mike, assuming I still get to go that is the route I plan to take.  Of course I was supposed to be visiting Frank and dragging my oversized frame up Devils Tower in Wyoming too, but for now the monument remains closed as does Glacier (and the rest of Montana for that matter... my 4 day plan in Montana does not pair well with the mandatory 14 day quarantine still in place for visitors.  I had identified a couple of locations I was hoping might produce my first ammonite since the dino hunt was cancelled)  

I may have to opt for a less sprawling trip.  The biggest problem is that all of my wife's activities have pretty much been scrubbed and she doesn't find the thought of spending an entire vacation fossil hunting as appealing as I might.