Invitation for group travel to Morocco

Dimitris

Hello to everyone! 

With this post I would like to invite anyone who would like a group travel to Morocco exclusively for fossil hunting in the southern part of the country after the town of Zagora. 

My ideal period would be between October and November and then again middle December to Christmas. I am thinking for about 7 days. Two days would be wasted going back and forth to the locations. 

If there is a lot of interest for this, it would be better to create group of 4 so as to be more comfortable in the car. 

Important things to be taken into account :

1) The law for fossil export of Morocco is vague. Although it prohibits the export, specifically for scientifically important spiecements, it is not enforced. There are two threads in the forum that discuss this matter. 

2) Chisels hammers etc must be bought locally and probably abandoned in the country. I would never carry such stuff in a flight. 

3) Book flight with one hand luggage and return flight with more luggage. I guess this is apparent. 

4) Passport is mandatory but no visa needed at least for EU citizens. 

5) Two airports are major: Marakesh Menara and Rabat. I consider them meeting point. The optimal would be to get another flight from those airports to Zagora, but sometimes the later doesn't have flights. The road to Sahara is tiring so any group must have at least two people with driving licence. 

6) Renting a car usually costs 50 bucks a day. We may also consider renting atv for small distance. 

7) Thorough organisation of this endeavour. People will come from far away and we should prepare everything to guarantee everything is perfect and everyone's needs will be fulfilled. 

I hope I will find here people with such interest.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone interested. 

Regards, 

Dimitris. 

• I found this Informative 1

Maybe the tour operators lend the chisels and hammer.

October-November is a good period.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Yes been there last December. Moderate heat, no rains after Atlas Mts, although it is advised to be cautious if we are close to streams. If it rains somewhere closed the water of the stream may come down very fast. 

For the equipment I think it's the least, it is not expensive equipment for basic stuff. 

I am away from my PC where I have all info but as far as I remember around Zagora and Merzouga. I definitely do not plan to visit alone so the choices would depend upon group's wishes. 

Near Fes, maybe ?:D

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

In memory of Doren

I have no idea what's around Fes. Last time there I missed the chance to visit this city. Honestly I would be interested to any site with fossils. My preference is Cambrian and Ordovician since those periods are not present in my local area. 

I will present some sites that interest me soon as I return home. If you have something on mind and interest, bring it on table! 

Near Fes there is Adam @Tidgy's Dad.:D

In memory of Doren

1 hour ago, fifbrindacier said:

Near Fes there is Adam @Tidgy's Dad.:D

Indeed. 

But no fossils round here to speak of, I'm afraid. :(

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Indeed. 

But no fossils round here to speak of, I'm afraid. :(

Yes, there are fossils in Fes.

In memory of Doren

1 hour ago, fifbrindacier said:

Yes, there are fossils in Fes.

Only me, wifey, my collection and a few shops that sell a small selection of fossils from the South, or West (Khouribga ) or North (Nador etc.).

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Just now, Tidgy's Dad said:

Only me, wifey, my collection and a few shops that sell a small selection of fossils from the South, or West (Khouribga ) or North (Nador etc.).

If you had asked me where, i would have answered : in your house.:P

• I found this Informative 4

In memory of Doren

@fifbrindacier Hope at least 2-3 people would want to come. Hard for me to go alone, actually boring. If local members would wish to join that is even better and we can make a detour passing from Fes.

@Tidgy's Dad Seriously, if you want to go South and your schedule is OK that period of time. I can be very flexible with my dates as stated in first message. 

1 minute ago, fifbrindacier said:

If you had asked me where, i would have answered : in your house.:P

Lol database says there are some spots around. Nevertheless I was pretty sad I missed Fes the other time and spent time driving to the horrid Casablanca. 

Just now, Dimitris said:

horrid Casablanca. 

Do you mean torrid or horrible ?

In memory of Doren

Horrid as horrible. A cement city not worth visiting contrary to beautiful Rabat. 

1 hour ago, Dimitris said:

@fifbrindacier Hope at least 2-3 people would want to come. Hard for me to go alone, actually boring. If local members would wish to join that is even better and we can make a detour passing from Fes.

@Tidgy's Dad Seriously, if you want to go South and your schedule is OK that period of time. I can be very flexible with my dates as stated in first message. 

With me it's more a health and finances thing. But I'll see nearer the time if you have any places left. 

Fes is a lot nicer than Casablanca - which I don't like either, but Fes is well out of your way from fossil site to fossil site. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

7 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

With me it's more a health and finances thing. But I'll see nearer the time if you have any places left. 

Fes is a lot nicer than Casablanca - which I don't like either, but Fes is well out of your way from fossil site to fossil site. 

Well if the health issue is not so big the rest can be overcome. Give the green light and space will be available. 

• I found this Informative 2

The center of Marrakech is also nice.

In memory of Doren

1 hour ago, Dimitris said:

Well if the health issue is not so big the rest can be overcome. Give the green light and space will be available. 

If it is at all feasible, then I'm in. 

wifey and Tidgy permitting. :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

I'd love to make this once-in-a-lifetime trip, but finances and practicality surrounding COVID-19 leave me thinking it's not for me at this time. :shakehead:

But I certainly do appreciate your efforts and hope some group of TFF members can join you and have a wonderful time.  Meeting Adam face-to-face on its own would be worth the trip. -_-

• I found this Informative 3

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

If it is at all feasible, then I'm in. 

wifey and Tidgy permitting. :D

Ah now there's the catch!

You have to somehow get Tidgy's permission.  The subject is perhaps best approached when you've gotten her drunk happy with prickly pears. ;)

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

9 hours ago, grandpa said:

I'd love to make this once-in-a-lifetime trip, but finances and practicality surrounding COVID-19 leave me thinking it's not for me at this time. :shakehead:

But I certainly do appreciate your efforts and hope some group of TFF members can join you and have a wonderful time.  Meeting Adam face-to-face on its own would be worth the trip. -_-

Well until Winter 2020 who knows what would be the situation? Maybe the virus will have calmed down. 

My opinion on this? Mortality rate lower than a common flu, China population combined with India 3 billion have less than 3000 dead. Among those people died noone says age of victims and what access they had in health care. I summarise it in one word; bulls unless you are over 60. The transmission rate is lower than ebola, common flu or even small pox. Some people are getting their wallet thicker from this. Mask sellers, suppliers from China are already 8% minimum. 

Anyway, the economics part is the most important for everyone. I will start with the beginning, flight. 

-US resident flying from NY around 300-400$. Average EU flight 120euro, French and Spanish guys 60-100euros. That's round trip excluding 30kgs return luggage. Usually one hand luggage included. 

-Accommodation : Hotels around dessert are cheap. Bed and breakfast for around 75 bucks per person for two bed room for 6 nights. 

-Food : There are scarce options in these villages. There are some tourist traps in the middle of the road they charge 10euros for awful lunch. You can also cook if you mind eating snarge. Having visited Morocco, Malta, Amsterdam, Sicily and Israel, I found Morocco the most expensive. Shocking right?? 

-Inside country transportation : Car is 50bucks per day divided between 3-4 people. 

-Minor expenses like tools would never exceed 20euros per person. 

-Currency exchange : Don't bother with local "pawn shops" just make an application for transferwise or revolut and withdraw directly Morrocan cash with minimal fees. Or exchange at a bank. 

I would say minimum 600 bucks for someone from USA. If you stay in Marakesh you need at least 100 a day.

I found only one honest and reliable fossil seller. His prices were a little above average but he had prepared and unprepared pieces. He is on this road. Worth buying something expensive from him. 

The flight tickets can be pushed a little lower with ip tricks when booking, when searching working days morning and not weekends. Additionally there is a nice Facebook group called Dino the tourist. Sometimes great bargains come up there. Lastly, DO NOT search tickets with only one provider. Check skyscanner, kayak, kiwi tickets. Found a cheap ticket from NY to London? Great! Then go directly to Ryanair site and book Marakesh. Be opportunists! Corona virus? Prices will fall soon both for hotels and flights! 

Hope the above help anyone's hesitation concerning the costs of this trip. 

• I found this Informative 2

Prices can be much lower if you have someone with you who can speak a bit of Darija (local form of Arabic) and Amazigh (Berber language often spoken in the south). 

And who knows the culture, traditions and Islam..

There are lots of honest and decent fossil sellers too. 

Tajine fatigue can be a problem, there is a tendency to overcook everything in some places, but there is really excellent local food to be had too. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.