Cephalopod or just chert concretion? #3

Lauren16

This is the 3rd post of features from a limetone/dolostone rock, found loose in a river, presumably carried south from the limestone bedrock further north. If this is just chert concretion, not a fossil, then Q How did the parallel grooves form?  The grooves in this feature had been emclosed in soft chalky dolostone material until I removed it with vinegar baths and much rubbing, so were not caused by weathering and are not glacial striae. Pivabiska_limestone_chert_boneworm_use.thumb.JPG.daacc4ce72c40c9bd2e8fa51d5a2fce6.JPG

And last, this is one of several bonelike features in this rock, that I understand are just chert, but the structure of the end looks bone-like to me. It was seeing these bone-like features sticking out of a normal limestone rock that caused me to soak the rock in several vinegar baths and keeping rubbing and brushing, which exposed all the small features with parallel grooves in this 3-post post.

Pivabiska_limestone_chert_bonelike_1cm_use.JPG

With all the bath of vinegar you put that piece in, all shell have melted. If there is a fossil there it then must be an internal cast. I think this is limestone with probably infilled burrows.

• I found this Informative 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

On 3/7/2020 at 4:33 PM, fifbrindacier said:

With all the bath of vinegar you put that piece in, all shell have melted. If there is a fossil there it then must be an internal cast. I think this is limestone with probably infilled burrows.

Agreed, might just be an infilled burrow or odd mineralization feature.

• I found this Informative 1

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/