Floating Frame Display Question

Jetsmom

Good afternoon! I'm new to the forum and was hoping you all could help me with framing advice.

I wanted to get a very special gift for my little brother for his birthday (his twin passed away a few years ago so I always try to make it a super special day), so I purchased a trike "spitter" tooth online. It's 1 - 1/8" in size and I was thinking about purchasing a floating frame to display it but I'm stumped as to which size I should purchase.

I'm including a photo of the type of frame I was interested in using and the tooth I purchased.

Is this the best way to display the tooth and if so, which size frame should I get? If there's a better way to display, please share any suggestions!

Can you tell I'm new to this?

Thank you all in advance,

Amy

-9-1.jpg

dc10.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I personally think that riker cases look better but that’s just my opinion;). Your brother is very lucky! :)

Also, welcome to the forum! :yay-smiley-1:
This is what riker cases look like :)

38E7A597-4B54-43E9-9CF1-AFC10BBB4879.jpeg

Thank you and thank you! What size frame would you recommend for a tooth that's just over 1"?

5 minutes ago, Jetsmom said:

Thank you and thank you! What size frame would you recommend for a tooth that's just over 1"?

Maybe 4 or 5 inches? :) It’s hard to say without the tooth in hand.

Hi and welcome to the forum.  That is a lovely present to give to your brother. I am probably the only member here whom is not that keen on the floating frames . I would go with the riker mount or even get it framed up ( in a box frame) with some graphics  and illustration explaining the history of the tooth.  Here one I made 

EA5D2C54-1ED7-4924-B3DC-D06BA5879C98.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

I use both and are equally nice.  The floating frame however allows an easy free standing mount which works for me in certain areas.  50 x 50mm might work.  Just draw that size box and see how you like the tooth.  They come all different  sizes it's an easy purchase

• I found this Informative 3

42 minutes ago, Jetsmom said:

Thank you, everyone! I didn't realize there were so many options!

I use both hanging and table mounted displays depending on the weight, size and preferred location.  If it's my best or only specimen, I want it to stand out from the others.  So I do tend to put my rarer, best detailed (like your purchase) or more expensive items in nice quality displays just to emphasize them.  Some are hand made displays similar to Bobby's.  Others are purchased and usually cost more but I get to select the frame type and color as well.  I try to maintain the same configuration/style and color for a specific grouping.  So, I would think it depends on where you propose to place it and what style/color his other displays are.  Anyway, that's a very nice gift and I'm sure he wouldn't care if he received it in a brown paper bag - I know I wouldn't.

• I found this Informative 2

Ruger, where do you purchase your nicer displays? This will be his first dino fossil piece so I'm assuming he'll want it to stand out :D 

41 minutes ago, Jetsmom said:

Ruger, where do you purchase your nicer displays? This will be his first dino fossil piece so I'm assuming he'll want it to stand out :D 

On our favorite auction web site (can't state the name - rules).  They have every type of display imaginable, including wood, metal and Plexiglas.  Many of the sellers include photos of items that can be placed in them.  For a table top display you may want to look at the wood base, mirrored back type.  For a wall display you may want to look at a deep frame or shallow shadowbox type.  Hopes this helps. 

The floating display frames are what I use primarily. Of course it depends on the fossil, but for the average dinosaur teeth, I find that I use the 2.75” x 2.75” the most. I still suggest checking for the right size. Usually where you see them for sale they break it down and have example pics. They are very affordable anyway so I end up just getting several of each size. 

I choose rikers as I can group teeth together. They look really impressive when in the same case in my opinio89B9E0F3-7568-441C-9E5F-BC2C7AD3F9E6.thumb.jpeg.d7aa22c37f3e2259addbb29c0e3e95c4.jpeg

Thank you all! It's my brothers' birthday today and the tooth was well received! "Awesome! I'm gonna have the dentist use it for my next crown" :heartylaugh: 

I ended up getting one of each style of frame so he could choose how to display it. 

I think you made the wisest choice! :thumbsu:

Now having a spare empty frame, he will be enticed to further the collection to fill it up. ;)

• Enjoyed 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

• 3 years later...

As someone also new to the forum and had a question about floating frames, are they safe? Will the chemicals in the film harm the enamel on the sharks teeth? Being cautious about any possible damage being caused long term. 

Thank you in advance 

The film shouldn't do any damage to your fossils. 

I myself am not a huge fan of the frames, I had some but overtime the surface of the film went dull and matte in some places and you can't really reuse them for a different fossil after it has already been stretched out if you want to change the display.

I'm not sure if the damage to the film happened due to overstretching, or maybe contact with some cleaning chemical like Windex that may have been in the air, but pretty much all the ones I had got like that

Edited by Misha
  • I Agree 1

I have the same problem on about 1/2 my floating frames. In my case I’ll have 2 frames from the same batch, next to each other, same material inside, same size and shape, and one fogged the other didn’t. I’ve also got some still stored in the box nothing in them and some have fogged and some haven’t. I’m actually in the middle of taking things out of the fogged frames and putting them into other display cases.

Seems like they dont hold well, and still concerned about damaging the teeth. Suppose I will stay with making shadow boxes

Thank you for your input, appreciate you

• Enjoyed 1