Matoaka Beach Cabins 12/26/19

timmy6848

Hello all! I will use this post to serve two purposes: introduction and fossil logging. 
I am a 19 year old boy from Northern Va. who recently joined this community after eyeing down old posts trying to find a general idea about how/where/when to begin fossil hunting. After a little research, I finally embarked on my first journey Dec 2018 and have been hooked on fossil hunting since.

Now, I found this collection of fossils 12/26/19 at Matoaka Beach Cabins after 3 hours and with the help of my sister. Feel free to comment whatever, ask anything, or whatever else may brewing in your head.

- Timmy.

7AA28C07-8924-41BC-BEEF-C68E1070B122.jpeg

1B921151-1A9C-4C0D-B93A-AFB956FB7266.jpeg

6BAA54E5-9AE4-4C19-958D-E3B62144B7CE.jpeg

1BB41ADA-1E66-4220-BB5E-C144E12CBD15.jpeg

105B79EE-298B-4754-9081-17C1875DF43F.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7

Welcome to TFF!

Great finds! You sure did well!

If you need any help with ID let us know (we have a great Fossil ID section for that!), as I, among others, would be glad to help. :) 

Good luck on your future hunts too!

Max

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

1 minute ago, Max-fossils said:

Great finds! You sure did well!

If you need any help with ID let us know (we have a great Fossil ID section for that!), as I, among others, would be glad to help. :) 

Good luck on your future hunts too!

Max

Thank you for responding and for the offer. I do have one ID question at the moment. Do you know what that weird trapezoidal “thing” is next to the fish and shark vertebrae? I can send in a better picture if these ones are a bit too blurry. 

Hello Timmy and welcome to TFF from Austin, Tx.  That is a great start you have to what I'm sure will be a growing collection.  You have a great place to go hunting and should continue to find quality and variety of fossils in eastern coastal US.  Good luck in your endeavors and again, welcome.

5 minutes ago, timmy6848 said:

Thank you for responding and for the offer. I do have one ID question at the moment. Do you know what that weird trapezoidal “thing” is next to the fish and shark vertebrae? I can send in a better picture if these ones are a bit too blurry. 

Yeah some better pictures of that would be helpful...

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

3 minutes ago, grandpa said:

Hello Timmy and welcome to TFF from Austin, Tx.  That is a great start you have to what I'm sure will be a growing collection.  You have a great place to go hunting and should continue to find quality and variety of fossils in eastern coastal US.  Good luck in your endeavors and again, welcome.

Thank you for the warm welcome!

45 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

Yeah some better pictures of that would be helpful...

19FF771D-54B3-4C44-99D4-146E2E4034A9.jpeg

A5E8FC23-3039-4B15-B8A6-7DD8CA53EE0E.jpeg

FA15AB09-7BE8-4C7B-BD5A-87EEA4855898.jpeg

Hi Timmy Welcome. I have not seen Panopea clams (ist pic 3 on right side) in a while. Many of them have blister pearls (attached pearls dull not shiny looking) on the inside of the shell. This is because of the 2 large openings for the foot and siphons. Lets side the inside of these shells. Good Hunting

• I found this Informative 1

@timmy6848 ah, I'm afraid that's just a concretion, not a fossil. Sorry :wacko:

Max Derème